New teacher

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Danielle721, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Danielle721

Danielle721 Rookie

Aug 30, 2011

Hey everyone! I go tomorrow to set up my classroom. I will have a 3rd gr. SP Ed class, primarily SED children. Any suggestions on what would work best, as far as seating arraingments? I was thinking possibly a U Shape, so that way it's easier for them not to be so on top of eachother.

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 30, 2011

What does SED mean? Emotional disability? We don't have that term in my state, so just trying to clarify what type of students you're talking about first!

4. Danielle721

Danielle721 Rookie

Aug 30, 2011

yes, severly emotional disturbed. I did not go in yet, so I am not sure what the kids have, specifically. All I know is it's an 8:4.

5. roll

roll Rookie

Aug 30, 2011

I was in an emotional support classroom and the students sat in rows. They were not allowed to turn around and look at each other because then they began nitpicking each other trying to start something. There also were some time out areas for if one of the children turned aggressive. As I understood it the idea was for them to learn to give each other privacy and space. If you have them sitting in a U-shape then they may be triggering each other.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 30, 2011

Oh I see. Well I don't have much advice as I've never worked with that population, but I hope it goes well for you! From what I've heard you need to have a VERY clear system of rewards and consequences for behavior that the kids can follow. If you could get students with severe ebd to sit nicely at a u-shaped table, I'd be surprised. I would start with rows where students have their own space and just meet the kids and assess what they can handle- you can always change to something less strict later on.

7. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Aug 31, 2011

I subbed a few times in a partial hospitalization classroom (think really, REALLY EBD kids... like one step away from a psychiatric hospital) and the teacher had a U shape. Then again, the kids were also pretty young.