New teacher worries

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by openairexplorer, Jun 15, 2009.

1. openairexplorer

openairexplorer Rookie

Jun 15, 2009

Hello all-

This will be my first year teaching and I will have a 5-8 grade resource room. I will have 25-30 students with learning disabilities and other mild disabilities on my case load. I will be doing some inclusion but mostly pull-out with about 6 students at a time. I have seen my classroom and I am so excited, yet one of the things that I have been thinking about/ stressing about is keeping records and documenting students' progress and meeting of IEP goals. I was thinking that a good way to stay organized would be to have one binder for each student. In this binder I would put IEP information as well as data sheets, etc. I was going to have one data sheet for each IEP goal and document dates, times, and the activities. (Is this the most efficient way or should I just keep charts/ checklists attached to clip boards and use those?) I was also thinking of keeping a notebook near me at all times to take notes during/after lessons. If anyone has any other ideas of efficient ways to keep data and notes on students I would be very grateful. Also, any tips on creating lessons and independent work would be helpful as well. So far I was thinking about creating individual packets for each student based on their current levels. In this way I can do some direct instruction while other students are doing independent work. Is this the best way to go or should I consider centers? (I have not seen centers used a whole lot in older classrooms). This new teacher appreciates any other tips and information! Thank you so much!

3. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Jun 16, 2009

I just finished my first year, so I'm not a ton of help, but I just wanted to wish you luck! Your ideas sound good. That many binders might get pretty bulky, but if there's a ton of paperwork per child then that would likely be the way to go. I definitely recommend keeping a notebook near you at all times to jot down little notes. That can be so helpful.

4. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Jun 16, 2009

I don't work SPED but I have a sped minor and have worked in SPED room to sub before. the best system I ever saw was where the teacher had a file cabinet and each student had a file with their name on it and all important papers inside of it. I don't know about doing centers with older students, I think independent work might be best in that area. However, when I have worked in sped I was always working with all students at the same time because they will grouped and pulled according to ability. Good luck and make sure you have a good discipline system in action!

5. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Jun 16, 2009

As far an anecdotal notes, my MT kept a couple of clipboards around the room with the names of each child in a box. If she had an observation she could grab the closest board and jot down a note. She changed her board once a week and dated them, but you could always transcribe that into your binders and check it off the clipboard. Just an idea.