new teacher with a bad memory

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by lcluigs03, Aug 24, 2006.

1. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 24, 2006

ok so we've only been in school for one week, but i cannot remember anything! i keep skipping over subjects! when we do math i give them about 20 minutes to do their work, but then i forget to watch the clock and it turns into more! then i skip over spelling entirely. today i did that and they have a test tomorrow. i don't know how ready they are for it now! i'll have them buddy quiz for 10 minutes and then give the test, but sheesh. i gotta remember to do spelling!!!! everyday for 15 minutes right before lunch! ugh.

my schedule is pretty good, i just can't get it into my head! who else has this problem?

*sigh*
    LC

3. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Aug 24, 2006

You could write out a rough schedule on the board every morning. That way it would remind you, and the students would know what's coming up too.

4. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 24, 2006

i do that all the time...my kids enjoy crossing off whatever we've finished and they loooooove erasing the board at the end of the day (i even made it something that the best behaved student of the day gets to do!)

5. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Aug 24, 2006

Yup- write the schedule with times on the board. I don't know what grade you teach, (it must be at least 2nd or higher if you're teaching spelling) but putting the times on the board, your kids will keep you schedule if you still are having trouble!

6. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

Aug 24, 2006

I agree with the above posters. Writing down a "shape of the day" really helps keep me on schedule, and if I forget, there is always one kid who pipes up and says, "Miss N, isn't it time for lunch?" :eek:
    I use a scheduling pocket chart and have all my subjects on cards and then I can arrange them into the sequence I want. It really helps!!

7. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Aug 24, 2006

Yep...write it on the board. It helps get it into your head. I would also not beat yourself up about it...everything will finally smooth itself out and a routine will be established. We have been in school for a week now and I have yet to get all subjects in. We are still working ALOT on procedures. My kids are doing great! And by the end of next week I am sure we will be completely ready to 'rock and roll.'

8. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 24, 2006

My daily schedule is written on the board before I leave for the day so when I come in the morning, it's there for me to keep track of things and for the kids to see. It's true that if you run over, the kids will tell you. It's never occured to me not to have a daily schedule up. I even do that when I teach departmentalized classes to keep our flow from warm up to checking homework....modeling the lesson...guided practice...independent work..assigning homework...dismissal.

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 24, 2006

Using a timer really helps.

10. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 24, 2006

i do post it on the board! lol. but i don't put the times. i guess i'll start that tomorrow!

:rolleyes: LC

11. TeacherKay9

TeacherKay9 Rookie

Aug 24, 2006

I post my daily schedule on chart paper on the wall in the back of the room so that I can see it easily and often. This year the schedule for every single day is different! One day a week we even go to lunch an hour early so that we can go to one of our specials! I still don't have it down at all! Any thoughts about handling a schedule that changes every day?

12. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Aug 24, 2006

I would totally lose track of time during Lit. Centers if I did not use a timer. I always write very detailed plans this time of year and keep them in front of me. Pretty soon, I will not need them so much. I also have a color-coded schedule posted.

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 24, 2006

The schedule with the times has to go on the board. Especially for the students to have consistency! I need to use a timer for reading groups this year, too... (ick!) :) I run my mouth more than anyone I know sometimes.

14. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 24, 2006

To keep your self on schedule I would suggest using a kitchen timer or giving one of your student's the job of alarm clock (meaning that they tell you when the clock reaches a certain time.)