New Teacher - What do I really need?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by kinder4me, Jun 9, 2005.

1. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Jun 9, 2005

Hello!!! I am new to the world of teaching. I will be teaching Kindergarten in August and feel overwhelmed by the idea of buying for my room. I guess what I need is some advice about what I really need. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it sooooooo much.

3. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2005

My favorite resource is the Mailbox Kindergarten SuperBook. It has supply lists, center ideas, songs, letters to parents, everything you can think of. It's great!

4. Michelleh

Michelleh Guest

Jun 9, 2005

When I first started teaching I bought 100.00 dollars worth of stuff from a teacher who was leaving. I didn't end up using but a few items. Basically I would start to look around your house for things. Toilet paper rolls make good art projects. Look at containers that you are finished with and think about ways you could use them to store things. Look for things when you buy drinks or things that are a cup, pint, quart or gallon and save them for teaching about measurement. If you have material that you are not using save it for teaching math or using it for art materials. Think about the skills that you will be teaching and gather materials that would help you with your lessons. For math you might start saving sale papers or gather menus to help with money. Save old pizza boxes and make a pretend pizza out of paper to teach fractions. Make puppets out of paper bags. I could go on forever but you get the idea. Wait until you are actually teaching before you go and spend a lot of money. ;)

5. valindy

valindy Rookie

Jun 9, 2005

Congrats on your job!

Treat yourself to a trip to the teacher store to get a few posters and such to decorate your room. I like to leave lots of space in my room for the kids to display work- but you will need an alphabet line and and such. I like to use fabric to make boards. It doesn't show holes and it is really colorful. :) It helps to look around the internet and see what other lessons and themes people are teaching. Some site you might want to check out are:
    http://www.teachingheart.net/
    http://www.mspowell.com/
    Get together with your team (if you have one) and find out what programs and special events you will be doing this year.

Good Luck!
    :p

6. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Jun 10, 2005

You do want a lot of small manipulatives, these can be anything from Legos, to plain wooden blocks, to poker chips, to old keys. The children will use these for sorting, classifying, but they are especially interested in building up and knocking things down. My class thoroughly enjoyed floor size puzzles too and would choose them over standard size puzzles any day. While you are thinking about all that... think about boxes, baskets, tubs for storing all that you have so that it is user friendly.

7. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Jun 10, 2005

Thanks for all the ideas!!!

8. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 10, 2005

Petunia

A can of play dough on each desk the first day. The first student you greet and tell them to make something with the play dough. Takes care of the running around. You can greet the next student and get them settled. And you will expect some tears from student and mom. Kissing Hand is a great book to read and do activities related to it. If you e-mail and ask for Kissing Hand ideas for K age, I would be glad to share with you. A tri-pod name tag in the corner of desk is a life saver. about 3 inches high and 9 inches long of so. Tape them in the upper corner of the desk and put first name on the front and back. You will call child by name, great for subs, Paras, room parents and etc. We leave them on the desk all year. We use in K, 1,2,3,and 4th grade. I sent you an e-mail with a long list of supplies. The simple things. safety pins, extra pencils, glue, stapler, ruler, yard stick, finger nail polish to stop a hose run, baggies, plastic spoons, tissue, and etc. Study your teachers guide to get ideas what you will need to teach your lessons. Have a great year.

9. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2005

asprin(or whatever you like) ....always always keep something for the all of a sudden headache and cramps (ouch!) on certain days they a life saver! I also keep halls and some kind of cold medication in my deks at all times. I acutally have a little cosmetic bag filled with all sorts of goodies in my bottom drawer, its a wonderful resource for you and you alone! Just be sure to keep it locked away so that kiddies dont get into it!

10. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jun 11, 2005

teacher discounts

Don't forget one of the privlages of being a teacher is getting a price discount at some stores! :) Before spending a lot of money at places like Office Depot, Borders books, Barns and Noble, and some others, ask if they have a teacher discount program. I want to say even Jo-Ann Fabrics does, but not sure, never hurts to ask, even at second hand book stores! And don't forget that these discounts are offered to librarians and home schoolers.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 11, 2005

Jo-Ann's does but I think it's only 10%. Crafts and Stuff is 20%. Big Lots has the lowest prices around, often even lower than Dollar Tree. Barnes & Noble teacher discount is 20% but can't be used for music or coffee (I tried). Just yesterday I got my latest find at Goodwill - Cuisenaire's book, The Mathematical Toolbox for grades 1-8. I am going to use it for a year-long math 'stars' type of program which I was trying to figure out how to implement!! The book is perfect. Serendipity at work.

12. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2005

Sore throat spray- its a lifesaver! I have a sore throat from August thru May from a combination of talking and all the little ones' germs ;) and it's hard to read with a cough drop in your mouth

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 11, 2005

Another must have is hand lotion! I always ask about teacher discounts, Barnes & Nobles wanted me to buy their discount card or whatever it is that they call it. Sometimes I've gotten employee discounts when the store doesn't have a teacher discount! I also go to garage sales to find puzzles & books. Check for your local library's book sale, I go on the bag day & grab lots of children's books, plus some for myself. I've always had an older grade come in and read to my children so I don't worry about the reading level. Don't buy alot until you know what you need and what the school will supply. My first school supplied me with an alphabet line and a few posters. The next school gave us money to purchase whatever we needed, but if it was purchased with the school's money it stays at the school, but it could travel with you from grade to grade as necessary. Good luck & congratulations!!

14. AuntieM

AuntieM Rookie

Jun 19, 2005

JoAnn's has a discount!

YES JoAnn's has a teacher discount , you need to fill out a card, but it is good for 10% off every purchase. STAPLES also has teacher rewards, just send in a post card.

As for JoAnn's..sign up online and in the store for flyers, they will send you coupons for 40% off online AND in the mail! Yippeeee I love a discount!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2005
  15. divey

divey Companion

Jun 23, 2005

Music!

When I was teaching kindergarten, one of the things that I used for both MY and my student's enjoyment was different kinds of music. I had a wide variety including classical, rest time, fun, and educational. Some that I would suggest specifically:

ANYTHING by Trout Fishing in America (if you're not familar with them, their kid's music (as well as their adult stuff) is a riot!

There are tapes that are for movement activities (beanbags/gross motor)

Kenny Loggins: Return to Pooh Corner (I think that's the name of it!)

16. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Jun 23, 2005

I was a long term sub in kinder for a semester. Some things that I think would be helpful are lots of picture books, games for indoor recess (connect four, puzzles, marble works), manipulatives such as plastic soda bottle tops in different sizes and colors, small things like dinosaurs in different colors, stickers, stamps, items for a home center (doll, play phone, dress up clothes).

This is just a few, but I hope it helps!

17. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 23, 2005

I purchased several classical music CD's (think I paid 2.99 each @ KMart) for use during "quiet time" when I taught Kindergarten. This past year when I moved to 2nd I would put on a Classical CD and the kids would do their morning work, or any independent assignment to the music (writing spelling sentences or things of that type). They got to the point that they would ask me to "turn on the classical" if I would forget.

18. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Jun 24, 2005

Thank you for all the great advice!!!!