New teacher vacation 2nd week of school

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by misseskb, Jul 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misseskb

misseskb New Member

Jul 25, 2014

Hi. I have been offered a position as a first year teacher. The problem is I have a family vacation planned for the 2nd week of school. The vacation was planned 2 years ago. I have not signed a contract, was only verbally given the offer (haven't accepted yet). I did not mention it in the interview.

What do you think will happen? There is no insurance on the vacation so we cannot move the date.

I have 3 interviews next week as well. Should I mention the vacation during those interviews? Help. Thanks.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2014

I'm assuming that all the schools around you will have started by your vacation, correct?

With it being the 2nd week of school, I'm guessing it will be a deal breaker for most schools :sorry: You will likely have to weigh the decision of subbing for a year and taking the vacation, or missing the vacation.

4. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jul 25, 2014

I don't know how personal days are granted in Texas, but where I'm from, they are only available to new teachers after a number of contract days.

I won't tell you what to do but you probably know what is in your best interest.

5. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Jul 25, 2014

I would be upfront about it. It is a heads up that, if hired, you would be out at a crucial part of the school year. But be ready to state how well you will set up your classroom expectations etc. before you leave :p

NC personal days, are terrible when you are starting out. I am starting my 2nd year. I have a wedding to go to out of country in January and I am hoping my p works with me because I probably still will not have enough personal days acquired.

Good Luck on the job hunt!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2014

I'm tenured and wouldn't take a vaca the second week of school!

You should definitely be honest with the school,but I wouldn't pass up this job opportunity for the vaca unless you're willing to sub all year.

7. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2014

I would not mention the vacation to the job where you've already been hired at or while on any other interviews. I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize your potential of getting the job.

Once you have signed a contract, I would think long and hard, LONG AND HARD, about the pros/cons of taking this vacation. Talk it over with your spouse, s/o, parents - whoever. If you still need to take the vacation and are willing to shoulder the crap that will come with going on vacation during the second week of school - take your trip and enjoy.

Good luck!!!

In regards to personal day: we only get one personal day a year here and it has to be pre-approved. So, people just call in sick in my district, even if they are going to be out for a whole week.

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 25, 2014

czacza, I know I have more typos than you, but I must say yours are funnier. :rofl:

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 25, 2014

We only get 1 personal day per year, so it would be a deal breaker.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 25, 2014

I agree with the others...Would that even be a possibility? In my district we're given 3 personal days, but we have to pay for the sub, which costs $140/day. So that wouldn't even be an option in my district.

Also, the first month is such a critical time that I think most school would highly frown up on that.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 25, 2014

After being around teaching awhile, I can say that to most Ps your vacation the 2nd week of school would be a big deal. Personally, I would shorten the vacation with family to a 3 day weekend or at most a 4 day weekend. I don't think you'll have trouble taking one or two days off at most schools.

I know this is far easier said than done, but honestly I think that you have at least a 50% chance of losing this job if you insist on going on this family vacation. If you feel like you have to be gone that whole second week of school, you might have to choose between the job and the vacation. It is not the way it should be, but it is most likely the way it is.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2014

I fixed it! Funny that it kind of makes sense as a typo though! :blush:

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 25, 2014

Side note-you have to pay for your subs?!

We can only take days off the first two weeks and last four weeks of school for emergency reasons-weddings, funerals, etc... And we only get three personal days a year.

14. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Jul 25, 2014

Honestly, even if you could get the vacation days approved I would highly suggest you don't take a vacation the second week of school your first year. Unfortunately, there are many administrators out there that will hold things like that against you and may let it play a part in if they re-new your contract. I'm sorry to sound so negative, but in my experience their are many principals out there that hold grudges. Have you considered seeing if another family member will take your place? Many times with resorts/cruises you can change the name of the guest by just paying an additional fee (which can sometimes be as little as $50.00) they could then pay you part of what you have already put out for the trip. Your first year is usually very stressful and difficult on its own, no vacation is worth adding to that stress.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2014

We also only get three personal days..which have to be pre approved with paperwork going in 5 days in advance.
    My district is pretty sticky about sick days....we get ten, but if they find out you are abusing them, the Supe makes things difficult for you.

I'm curious, is this some sort of once in a lifetime, family reunion trip to Europe kind of trip?

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 25, 2014

I think you'll have a big target on your back if you take off the second week of school. It'll depend on your P of course, but I doubt it would be well received.

Did you not plan on teaching this current year two years ago when planning the vacation?

17. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 25, 2014

I wouldn't even attempt asking. This would (and should be) a huge no-no in education.

I realize you've planned for two years - but did you not know two years ago that you would be trying for a job in education?

18. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Jul 25, 2014

My thoughts... Your vacation, is it a once in a lifetime type trip? For example, there's a cruise that goes out of South America that will get you as close to Antarctica as one can get without being a scientist. I'd love to one day do it and would give up a job opportunity to do it. A trip to Disney, the Grand Canyon, etc. those opportunities may be feasible again in my lifetime. So, no I'd take the job. I mean, this may be your one chance at a job. Are you willing to sacrifice that. In the long run, I think it comes down to what you want more. Hope that helps. Whatever you do, have no regrets. Don't look back thinking "what if".

19. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Jul 25, 2014

Where is the vacation to? And if you accept the job, I would tell the principal about this vacation and make your decision about going or not based on their reaction.

My principal would say go and have fun but you aren't getting paid time off.

20. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Jul 25, 2014

I would be very very hesitant to take any time off, especially at the beginning of the school year. While your P might just say its fine and go have fun, it is definitely something they will not forget! It is so stupid that they would hold a vacation against you, but it is a distinct possibility.

My friend's boyfriend won an all-expenses paid, once in a lifetime trip to Hawaii last year. She would have missed three days of school. She had been at the school for 3 years already, I believe. In the end, she ended up not going on the trip because taking all of her personal days in a row would have been frowned upon and she didn't want to risk not being rehired.

Just be careful!

21. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 25, 2014

I would never, ever take a vacation the second week of school. Even ignoring the job issues, you're setting your classroom up for failure.

22. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2014

What? Do you teach in a public school? If you are a fulltime teacher, all time off during the school year is paid whether you use a sick or personal day or it is a holiday/break.

23. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 25, 2014

Not necessarily. I think this varies.

24. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 25, 2014

We can take days unpaid, but I'm not sure how it works. I'm guessing you'd have to pay the daily sub rate?

25. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2014

How?

26. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2014

What is the purpose of this; to stock up on sick days? I have never heard of anyone doing this if they are just using a sick or personal day.

My district has a limit on the amount of sick days we can cash out for our annual "bonus" or cash out when we retire.

27. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 25, 2014

If personal days don't have prior approval, teachers are docked their daily rate for each day missed. This may not be the policy everywhere, but it is in effect for some districts.

28. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2014

If your personal day is not approved, why would a person still take off without at least calling in sick? Who does that?

That's not showing up to work with no prior notice.

29. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 25, 2014

The only times I've heard it used is when teachers are out of personal days or they are trying to take a personal day during one of our restricted periods.

30. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 25, 2014

Teachers absolutely want to stock up on sick days in CA. You get it all when you retire. Teachers who save enough can get a whole extra year of credit for retirement made entirely of sick days. Definitely worth it.

To the OP, I agree with what's already been stated. Sorry to say this, but I think it's really either you sub this year and take the vacation, or you teach and don't take it. :sorry: Even experienced teachers would be HEAVILY discouraged from doing this, and I don't see a new teacher ever being allowed to do this. Even if the principal cannot prevent you (which depends on your area), it would be a terrible way to start the year, both for the students and for your colleagues and superiors. First impressions are HARD to shake.

31. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2014

I taught for a wonderful P in NC. One teacher left mid-year due to her husband's new job. She encouraged her to take all of her sick days to pack, make arrangements, etc... because she would lose them. This was November-January though. Even my extremely laid back P would have a problem granting the second week of school off.
    During my last year, I knew there was a 70-80% chance that I was leaving. She knew, too. I took 3 days off for a long weekend in October to go to Myrtle Beach and I took an entire week off in March for my birthday to go to Michigan. (It was originally Spring Break and they moved it. We already had plans for my birthday.) But, again, even in October I was almost through the first marking period. (And since I didn't get a job offer until July, I forfeited 43 sick days. Even after my small trips.)

32. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 25, 2014

Ridiculous, isn't it? We used to get one free day, and now we get zero. We get ten sick days that carry over each year, so most people just call in sick. You have to be really careful, though.

33. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2014

All ... That's generous. Many places put a limit on how many you can cash out when you retire. Although, here they do offer nice "packages" since they are trying to push people out and get them to retire ASAP.

34. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 25, 2014

Ugh that's awful. I'd schedule an early simple appointment and then take it as a sick day if I could.

35. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 25, 2014

It is so bad (or was at least) in my district that teachers even get docked sub pay on teacher workdays if they use personal or vacation leave. Of course no sub gets hired since there are no children in attendance.

36. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2014

I've been teaching in my district for 8 years and even I wouldn't consider asking for the entire second week of school off for a vacation. As a new teacher, you should absolutely not ask for this or expect to get it.

What kind of trip is it? Can it be rescheduled?

37. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 25, 2014

From an actual teaching standpoint, I think by missing the second week of school, it's going to make it a rough year in the long run. The first month of school really sets the tone for the remainder of the school year. So, by having a sub at such a crucial time, routines and procedures are going to fall apart and negative behaviors may develop that you don't want to deal with for the rest of the year. Being a first year teacher is already challenging enough that you really don't want to miss any days unless absolutely necessary.

38. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2014

I don't see how it would be possible for you to take that vacation. And there would be some lasting effects I think- admins and fellow teachers wouldn't forget that soon. I can't imagine a teacher at my school taking a vacation during the school year let alone one that started a week before.

39. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 26, 2014

Agreed.

40. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2014

We get 2 personal days but if we use them, we pay the sub and insurance for those days.

There is no way a vacation would be given during any of the 9 months at my district for anyone.

41. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 27, 2014

OK, I have come to this thread late, but unless this is your grandmother's 100th BD and she's at death's door, in what situation would you possibly conceive of this as a good idea? Would you want one of your children's teachers to throw everything over to a sub a week into the school year? Forget the principal - you would have a ton of angry and disillusioned parents on your case. If you get a job, send the rest of the family wherever and do the adult thing and stay home and work. I don't know how old you are, but I agree with the question about the timing if you were ever considering a job as a teacher. I can tell you that I wouldn't have the heart to treat my students that way, and I would find the moral high ground and simply not be able to go, should the job open up. Hey, there are people out there who have been waiting YEARS for a teaching job. If you don't mind waiting potentially as long, take the trip. If that is not appealing to you, don't. Be the grown-up. Sometimes it sucks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.