New teacher thinking of leaving already...Advice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Momma5, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Momma5

Momma5 Rookie

Sep 6, 2012

Advice

thanks

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 6, 2012

I am going to be very blunt:
    1) I think you need to change your outlook, and be more positive.
    2) I think you need to improve your classroom management plan.

I obviously have not experienced your work environment firsthand, but it does not sound that bad, compared to other situations that I have heard about/been in. It almost sounds like you are looking for the negatives. Most of your complaints are speculation: you think people are talking about you behind your back, you're afraid to ask people for help, you don't think anyone will help you with that one student, even if you document, and you're afraid that your questions are "stupid."

IMO, you need to jump into the curriculum, work with the teacher upstairs, especially since you are only there for one year, and ask questions, even if you think they are stupid.

I have never yelled at my students, and I very rarely raise my voice. Doing so is not going to get them under control. I would highly recomend checking out this website: http://www.smartclassroommanagement.com/ and reading some of the articles. They are very quick/easy reads.

Personally, I would not quit. However, your students deserve a positive teacher who wants to be there. If that can't be you, maybe you need to look into finding a different position.

4. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2012

Momma5,
    I know they say not to burn bridges, BUT it sounds like you can't handle it. You need to leave for your health.
    Sorry I can't advice you to change your attitude, suck it up, and hang in there because you have already made your mind up, BUT IF you think that you can change the way you see things, THEN suck it up, hang in there and PRAY LIKE YOU'VE NEVER DONE BEFORE!:angel:
    Prayers coming your way.
    Rebel1

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2012

What is your behavior mgt system besides raising your voice?

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 6, 2012

I was also going to bring up the raising voice. One of the biggest differences I found from urban to catholic school was relaxing a bit. I am planning to take the opposite approach. When I have students I speak with command but don't raise my voice or yell. Also, I don't talk over students, they are either quiet or I don't proceed.

I wouldn't worry about what others think because as you said, it's one year. You won't see these people ever again after that since I assume by how you feel you wouldn't want to be there next year anyway.

Have you read your teacher handbook? Grading should be covered there.

7. Momma5

Momma5 Rookie

Sep 6, 2012

I was going to start use that as well.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 6, 2012

I would take the other teachers' advice and document everything. It doesn't hurt, plus you will have something to share with his parents at conferences.

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 6, 2012

Ok, so let's start somewhere else.

Tell us 3 things you like about your school, coworkers, or students.

10. Momma5

Momma5 Rookie

Sep 6, 2012

:)

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 6, 2012

OK! So, let's go with that. Your coworkers are friendly, so maybe instead of waiting for them to come to you, you could seek one out. Tomorrow, why don't you make a point to ask a couple of them some of your questions. And your questions are not stupid. We've all been there, and so have your coworkers.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2012

You need to come up with an alternate behavior plan if you can't start your other one yet.

I have a somewhat similar situation. I plan on using Class Dojo (online). My wireless router, laptop, iPad, and all 3 desktops are not working. I have 0 technology. Makes using a online behavior management system tricky. I could run it from my phone, but I didn't feel comfortable using it when I haven't showed it to the kids. By the end of the week, I was ready to pull my hair out. This week, I reverted back to my old behavior management system and things have gone MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better.
    Get something in place. It will help.

13. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 6, 2012

I will admit that you have had a lot of difficult things that are not your fault and it is overwhelming you. I do feel for you. I highly highly suggest you do the following. Separate your job into 2 areas. Section 1 is life in your classroom--just you and your students. Section 2 is all the rest. The politics, the principal, your colleagues, and all the rest. Whether you stay or leave should be based on Section 1. If you like the "8-3" time where you teach, you believe you are doing a good job as a teacher, and you really enjoy teaching the students, then maybe consider staying. The section 2 stuff is annoying and must be dealt with, but it is not as important as section 1. If your Section 1 time is not enjoyable for you, then you will not be happy either in a Catholic or public school. If you think you have lots of politics at your school, I can tell you that there are some charter schools and public schools are just as bad or worse. I have put up with it as the time I have making a difference with 8-3 the children is incredibly enjoyable to me.

You might want to accept the politics you can't change and then really dive in and make a difference with the children. If that excites you give it another week or two. If it doesn't, then teaching might not be for you.

Personally I think you are one of the luckiest human beings. You get to teach children and bring them closer to God everyday. That's not a bad way to make a living.

14. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Sep 6, 2012

I'm sorry. I disagree. You should not have to put up with a principal talking to you the way you describe. I would NOT stay in a place where I was disrespected by my boss. The other teachers? Oh well. I can handle the kids. You try new things and find a way.

But the way your principal talked to you? Is he a seven year old?

There are better jobs out there.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 6, 2012

I missed this. I reread it but didn't see where the principal was disrespectful.

I am extremely tired and am battling a virus so it's not out of the question that I've missed something.

16. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 6, 2012

Momma5,

Another way to look at it is this. You spend about 30 hours a week with students and probably less than 1 hour with a principal. I can put up with nearly any principal if I have a group of students I enjoy teaching. I have had close to 10 principals in my career, and I can tell you not all of them were to my liking. Even with the "worst ones", teaching was still enjoyable because of the students and the opportunity I was given to make a difference with them.

17. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Sep 6, 2012

Sorry, nope, I misread. The pastor, not the P.

Can you talk to your P about this? I still think this is unacceptable especially since you said he "basically runs the show"

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2012

The preacher was very rude if I am reading things correctly. Goodness!

Are you certified? Were you taught any behavior managment strategies? If the answer to either is no, I would search the forums for advice, tips, and book recommendations. I actuallly get much quieter when students are making poor choices...no need to yell.

I am afraid that if your problem child is very aware, he may actually be able to detect your weaknesses and at his young age doesn't know to censor himself. Still, since it's possible for one unruly student to negativlely impact an entire classroom, I would pay him special needs and attempt to whip him into shape. :)

19. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Sep 6, 2012

First off, I'm sorry you are having such a bad time.

Um, are you sure the priest was really mocking you?? I have a hard time seeing the comment, "I heard you are married and have a baby" as sarcastic.

Have you called the disrespectful student's parents yet? You need to document and call them. Are you implementing an conduct grade system???

Also, I don't think negative reinforcement works with this age group. They obviously have tuned out the yelling. You need to come up with a positive reinforcement plan. Maybe make the problem a "special helper" so his behavior is front and center. I would start with a class wide incentive plan, instead of individual and start in small increments of expectations. Example, 5 minutes of quiet while I talk and then I will allow X.

You need to start calling parents. Unless they are on vouchers, most should be paying tuition and care how their child's class is run.

Maybe also have a meeting with the principal about that one kid?

20. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2012

What is your reaction when the student says those things? It sounds like he's saying them to get a rise out of you. If he said one thing and he saw that he was getting to you or affecting you in any way he feels like he knows just what to do to keep getting that rise out of you.