New Teacher Supply List - Secondary Ed

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by TheConspiracy, Jul 2, 2006.

1. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jul 2, 2006

Okay - Mr. Conspiracy and I are trying to make out a preliminary list about what i will need to purchase out of pocket (nothing has been indicated to me re: stiped, but I will save reciepts just in case). We have a budget of $275 that we can come up with and my mother has put out the word with relatives to send me Wal-mart and Dollar tree gift cards so I should get a few of those in the mail (but I don't want to count my chickens)

So here is a preliminary list and I want to see what you all think I should add to this list:

1) Kleenex (2 boxes to start)
    2) 10 bottles of hand sanitizer (I have an issue with germies - lol)
    3) 2 Packages of Pencils (to check out to students who "forget")
    4) 2 Packages of Pens (also for check out)
    5) 2 packages of purple pens (I hear that is the prefered color for grading papers)
    6) 1 Package of loose-leaf paper (for those who "forget")
    7) 4-5 Posters (to start - I really love a "busy room, so I know I will add more after a paycheck or two).
    8) 3 packages of index cards (for student contact info)
    9) Index card organizer (I already own one I can sacrifice)
    10) 1 Lamp (for some ambient lighting)
    11) 2 Packages of grease pens (I actually OWN my own portable overhead, so I know I will have daily access - good thing too, since I have an utter PHOBIA of chalk and I dunno if I have whiteboards in class)
    12) A rubbermaid bin for transporting paperwork and journals to my home.
    13) Small first aid kit. (for non-emergent ouchies)
    14) 2 bottles of lysol (again with the germies)
    15) 2 Large containers of clorox wipes (for desks, etc)
    16) A few small plants that need little light.
    17) 1 small watering can for said plants.
    18) Framed photocopies of my HS and College diplomas (I want them to feel that success is something they should be proud of) I could get some cheapie frames at the dollar store.
    19) Small framed family photos (I have some I can spare already)

I have lots of fabric laying around and I was going to use some to make curains for any windows I may have. Plus a friend suggested that if I end up with a room with now window, to make a "faux" window" with a poster of a pretty scene and some inexpensive window casing from home depot.

I am going to require jounral writing in my class in spiral notebooks so I bought 20 of them at Walmart for 10c each for students who let me know they need one (cannot afford one, etc). Will this be sufficient - or do students usually always say they need one for free? I suppose I could drop another $12-$13 for enough for all my students while they are on sale.

Since I wil be teaching high school - I ws probably thinking it might be a good idea to have a small bin of dollar store sanitary items for students if they are in dire need (sanitary napkins, etc). Or is his something I should leave up to the school clinic? (I know some girls don't want to go to the clinic and ask for these things....)

Should I buy a desk kit with bins? I dunno if schools usually provide these.

I was also going to take a string of Xmas lights and put them up on the border of one wall. Will this be okay, you think? I want my classroom to be festive and fun - but I don't want it to bother anyone. I was going to use the solid blue ones so they aren't too much of a visual distraction.

Anything else I should add to this list? Or delete?

~J

3. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 2, 2006

Your list is a great start. I would add:

safety pins--these come in handy for student and personal use
    chart paper and sharpies (if you don't have a white board)
    In and out trays (although I am in the process of making some and will post directions when I finish them)

I would wait before buying...
    the first aid kit--nurse sometimes provides bandaids for classroom use
    xmas lights--ask if these are approved by fire safety officials

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2006

Check with administration before you do the curtains and Christmas lights. Both are possible fire hazards. Also, if it's a public school, they might have an issue with the lights. (How about some snowman/penguin themed decorations instead?) Or, if it's a Christian school, the odds are good that they have some sort of Christmas decorating contest already. I would hold off here.

The girls in my high school ask "Can I go to the nurse?" in that panicked voice when they need sanitary supplies.

As to the medical kit, I KNOW you already know this, but I have to say it: you cannot give the kids any medication of any sort: no Midol for the girls, no tylenol for a headache. Never!! For both problems I recommend that they hit the cafeteria as soon as possible and get some caffeine: coffee, tea, even chocolate. I have only bandaids in my room... anything more serious than a paper cut goes to the nurse. (She's terrific-- she'll send them right back if it's not a problem.)

I don't know whether you need to supply the journals. But in HS you're probably going to have 4-5 classes... that could be a lot!! (Once they realize you're giving them out, all the kids will be "too poor" just to get a freebie. I would hold off; the administration must have some system for kids who can't afford supplies.)

I like (and still need to get) a vertical file for papers. I keep it on my desk and each class is color coded. So when I finish grading papers for period 1, they go into the blue folder, period 2 into the green, and so on. (off topic: I also have them write the period and row number as part of the heading I type onto each test. It makes giving back tests a breeze!!)

-HOw about a classroom dictionary/ thesaurus??
    -Scissors
    -A box of envelopes
    -A small box of stationary for when you need to respond to parents. (I do Vistaprint here)
    -A calculator (Even when you're doing your grades on computer, this comes in handy.)
    -masking tape for those posters
    -a stapler

I always do all my prep in binders. I buy a box of sheet protectors and by the 2nd year of a prep, I have a great set of notes!!! They're color coded as well: green for geometry, black for calculus, and so on, but you might consider one color for vocab, another for grammar, and so on. Play with it; you can always rearrange the pages.

-Not on your to-be-reimbursed-list, but needed anyway:
    * a briefcase of some sort. I like the canvas ones at Eddie Bauer.
    * a personal kit to keep in the classroom for you: brush, makeup, static guard, tylenol etc
    * for those of us in the chillier climates, a neutral colored sweater for those days that turn cold.

OK, and call me a nerd (or something similar:rolleyes: ) but I ALWAYS put a sticker on any paper over 90. I know they're big kids, but they enjoy positive reinforcement as much as the next kid. This year I've been ordering them thru Vistaprint in the form of return address labels. I ordered a bunch with a pumpkin and, instead of the address wrote "Keep up the good work" or something similar. I did falling leaves and Santa too (I'm in a Catholic school) My next order will be snowmen or penguins or something. But you can get them anywhere.

5. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

My district also has a problem with large bottles of hand sanitizer. (They equate them with moltov cocktails in a fire.) The big bottle is cheaper, but consider buying the smaller ones for personal use in case this becomes a problem. (Or get stuck with trying to use half a gallon of sanitizer in two weeks like I did!) :)

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 3, 2006

I had no idea about the hand sanitizer. Each one of my students brings the large size in at the beginning of the year and I store them. Uh oh.

The Conspiracy, your list looks great. You will probably need more room decorations. Will you have a bulletin board? Then you'll need backing and border. You can get the most incredible posters for middle and secondary at www.instructionalimages.com I go crazy just looking through their catalog.

You will need file folders and a filing cabinet, which might be there. Usually, a school does not provide desk supplies. Inexpensive plastic letter trays can be used for files, extra paper, separating work into classes or topics, etc. I often see them at thrift stores, even.

Other necessities: paper clips, larger clips, Post-it notes (hahaha), push-pins, white-out, stapler, stapler remover, a calendar.

Can you get the name of your department head? If not, go on the school website and find anybody you can call on the phone to ask about which items are provided by the school. Sometimes orders are placed at the end of the prior school year and some items may have been ordered for your position.

This looks like quite a huge undertaking. Try not to get overwhelmed.

7. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Jul 3, 2006

Thank you for this post! I am a first year teacher as well and this has helped me so much!

8. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Jul 3, 2006

Do you know if they have a catalog that I could order?

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 3, 2006

Oh yes, they do. We get it at school.
    Their telephone number is 1-877-221-444.
    The fax is 1-877-221-4445.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2006

For my bulletin boards, I love wallpaper. I buy cheap extras at the hardware store.in the odds & ends bin. It's indestructible and doesn't fade. At Christmas time, I put a roll of Christmas wrapping paper over it to decorate the room; then in January I just pull the wrapping paper off and I have my background paper and border all set again. This saves tons of time, since I de-decorate before homeroom in early to mid January.

I like Weans too: http://catalog.teachersstore.com/index.php?cPath=212_216
    although I must admit that, since it's local, I could spend a LOT of money just walking around that store!!

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2006

Upsadaisy, thanks for the link to Instructional Images! I have also found that poster.com offers a great deal of education-related posters, which any new teacher can use.

(They have over 6,000 posters in their education section.)

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 3, 2006

I'd check with the school first to see what they'll provide. I don't have to buy anything like folders, index cards, envelopes (all sizes), file boxes, staples, tape, pens for grading, printer ink, pens for overhead/whiteboard, etc. Pretty much if it's an office supply, they have it on hand all the time. They also do special orders. They ordered special liquid dry erase markers because I'm allergic to the "crumbs" from erasing the other kind--hives.

I buy hand sanitizer by the GALLON at Sam's club. It's less expensive than the smaller sizes. Hand lotion is good, too. And a small mirror--I have a locker mirror--is handy as well.

Band-aids are great! I also keep peppermint candies which I call "cough drops". Someone mentioned safety pins . . . but we're not allowed to have them at our school--the kids aren't anyway. We go through more tissues than anything--45 boxes last year! I do buy a few "regular" pencils, but the chronic "I don't have a pencil" kids have to borrow my golf pencils. They hate them! Oh . . . I use TONS of cap erasers! (They school bought me a box of 1000 two years ago.)

13. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 3, 2006

In the bottom drawer of one of my file cabinets, my students always knew they could find the following: sanitary supplies, bandaids, sewing kit, buttons, safety pins, and that wax stuff for when they got their braces tightened and it hurt, and a little eyeglasses repair kit.

On top of that cabinet was a box of kleenex, a stapler, scotch tape, scissors, a three-hole punch (because they were required to put all their returned papers in their binder), and a little cup of paper clips.

If ever any of these supplies "disappeared" it was not replaced. (except, of course, for those supplies that were not supposed to be put right back. . . .ick)

I used to keep cough drops in there 'till they got classified as a dangerous drug.

My students knew that if they needed something they didn't usually keep in a binder, they could get it in that drawer or on top of the cabinet.

14. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

Sounds like a good list. As far as office type supplies, paper, pens etc. definitely see what your school has available first. The school I am at provides newprint style writing paper which I use to make journals because I am not going to buy them and we are Title I and do not require our students to provide any supplies at all. I am told at my new school that they provide what I need. So it will be whole new world. I would see if there's someone on your team at school that you could email with the proposed list and see if there's anything else they can't live without and if any of the items are provided.

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2006

My old school provided NOTHING (I asked for an envelope one day & got a crazy look).

16. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 4, 2006

depending on school rules (they may not let you keep personal food in the classroom but I do anyway for medical reasons), you may also want to get a plastic sealable container for a stash of snacks.

hand lotion

red pens, if you plan to keep a paper copy of grades (for failing grades)

a teacher in my school purchased her own large white board which was expensive but she was allergic to chalk...if you hate chalk that much you may want to consider it.

17. Nathok

Nathok New Member

Aug 13, 2006

Funds for Supplies in So Cal

I am a new teacher in California and was worried about where I would get the funds to outfit my first classroom. By chance I went to my Credit Union (Orange County Teacher's Federal Credit Union) and found out that they have a great NO INTEREST loan for teachers who need to purchase school supplies. You might try asking at your bank, especially if it is teacher oriented, and see if they can help you with the funds.

I'd also like to mention that a TOOL KIT is not a bad thing to have in your classroom. You never know when you might need a hammer, screwdriver, or pliers and sometimes the janitors can be so busy that getting you a tool like that can take some time.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 13, 2006

I know I get a budget, I just don't know how much yet. I've seen this in many classrooms, but where do you get those adhesive mirrors that's no larger than the size of an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper that has a small ledge to put lipstick or whatever? I see them stuck to the inside of a wooden cabinet for teachers to be able to check their hair/makeup.

19. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2006

Ms. I

Try dollar stores.. I used to have one of those in my locker in HS:love:

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 17, 2006

Yes, I see plenty w/ a magnetic backing to stick to metal or one w/ suction cups. But I never see the ones that can stick to a wooden cabinet door.

I just ended up going to Michael's, getting a mirror & getting that velcro backing to stick the mirror & surface to each other.