New Teacher Supplies

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bealefay, Jul 9, 2020.

1. bealefay

bealefay New Member

Jul 9, 2020

Can y'all help a new teacher out, lol! I am getting close to finishing my degree in Elementary Education and am dreaming about what supplies I want/need. I do not know what grade level yet. I would love some suggestions that would work for all grade levels. What do I absolutely need? What would be really nice to have? Thank you in advance!!

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 9, 2020

Because you have no idea what a school may provide until you get a job, I would stick to things that would help you stay organized and able to work efficiently. Your favorite pens, a great stapler, paperwork system, tote bag, etc.
    Good luck!

RainStorm likes this.
  4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 9, 2020

Pens, Sharpies, a cute stapler, sticky notes, scissors. Hand sanitizer.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 9, 2020

I wouldn’t buy anything but a lunchbox, a water bottle, and a bag of some kind to carry between home and school. And you might not even need those things right away if you’re involved in distance learning. My school provides everything else being suggested, and I can even request the exact pens, stapler, and sticky notes that I want. Don’t waste your money until you know your grade/content and what your school provides. Just start saving money so you’ll be able to purchase what you need later.

creativemonster likes this.
  6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 9, 2020

Things that you know will help you stay organized but as to actual classroom materials for the students I wouldn't buy a darn thing. It's too early to tell what you'll need.

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 9, 2020

I agree that you want to wait and see what grade level you will be teaching, and what supplies your school will provide before you spend any money. I totally understand the desire to "get ready" -- but you'll probably just end up wasting money.

But here is one thing I've always found necessary as an elementary school teacher -- a little touch-bell. I've had various types of the years, but I especially like this smiley face one. So cheerful, and so useful to get the class's attention.

[​IMG]

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 9, 2020

Yes, wait.

not only wait to see what grade you are teaching and what the school provides, but wait to see what you NEED. I wasted so much money buying things other people said they used when they did not work for me. I did much better when I found a need, then shopped for an item to meet that need.

bella84 likes this.
  9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2020

If you are wanting to give out "hints" for graduation presents, cash cards or gift cards are your best bet. It allows the giver to feel they have helped you on your way to teacher status, while giving you the flexibility to have funds for whatever pops up as you move into your role of teacher. Cash or debit cards can be used to pay for fees, testing, security deposits (you may end up out of town), and more things than I can even mention in a single post. Gift cards may allow you to add to a teacher wardrobe, which may even include masks, comfortable shoes, and the list goes on. I have used gift money to subscribe to various organizations that make me a better teacher, webinars, and learning experiences. Congratulations on completing phase one - your career will be phase two and beyond, and I hope it is long and happy. :hugs:

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 13, 2020

I think the gift card idea is good too. Also, just start putting some $$ aside so that when you do know what you will need you won't have to go broke. If it's last minute there's always some stuff you can order on Amazon that you will get quickly to hold you over until you can go shopping.