New teacher struggling to find a job

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Caitlin43, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Caitlin43

Caitlin43 Rookie

Jun 25, 2018

On June 4th, I was interviewed for both a 2nd and 3rd-grade position at a school in my county. I felt that the interview went well and that the two administrators in the room with me were actually interested in what I had to say. They told me that I would hear from them by the end of that week. I told them that I was teaching a summer camp a week later in case they were not able to get a hold of me the next week. Now it is 4 weeks since my interview and I have not heard anything at all. The job listing has also been taken down off of the website but I've been told that it doesn't necessarily mean that I didn't get the job. This is the first school who has actually wanted to interview me out of several applications elsewhere. Is it safe to say that I am not going to get either position or is there still a chance? I am continuing to apply to as many schools as possible. I also applied to be a substitute as a backup in case I was unable to land a full-time position.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jun 25, 2018

I would just call the personnel department and ask about the position in question. Tell them that you had interviewed for the position and would like to know what your status is relative to the position. Good luck!

czacza likes this.
  4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2018

I think it is very rude for schools to not tell you when you didn't get the job, especially when they told you that you would hear from them! I had two schools not tell me when I didn't get the job. One of them emailed me a month later about another position that I ended up not being interested in. Another school told me that I was their top candidate and to tell them if I was considering a position at another school. They never told me that I didn't get the position by their decision date.

I unfortunately think it is likely that you didn't get the job if it has been removed and it's been 4 weeks. It is a good idea to email to follow up. You never know if they will have another position open up!

5. Caitlin43

Caitlin43 Rookie

Jun 25, 2018

A friend of mine had mentioned that our hiring department is extremely slow. However, both admins said I would hear by the end of that week and that they are typically faster than the hiring department. It would be nice to know either way.

How would I go about sending a follow up email? I am so new to this.. haha.

6. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 25, 2018

It seems you are in denial that you will not get those particular positions.
    I have had admins tell me that they will for sure let me know either way; however, they did not stay true to their word. No, its not right for them to say that and not do it, but they get busy; they move on and assume you did the same.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 26, 2018

Not to be a debbie downer, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible that you are getting a job you interviewed for four weeks ago. I don't think "slow" means 4 weeks, especially if they told you that you'd hear something in one week. Even if HR moves slowly, admin is going to let the top candidate know that they're getting the job so they don't go get another job somewhere else. Like a pp said, unfortunately some admins don't contact people who weren't hired and it is very rude. I've interviewed for a couple of jobs that didn't let me know I wasn't chosen. I always figured if I hadn't heard anything within a couple of days I didn't get the position.

I also always thought of it this way: Do you really want to work for someone who can't take 30 seconds to notify candidates that the position has been filled, knowing how anxious people get about interviews? I definitely don't. IMO, that speaks volumes about how they care for and treat their staff.

If you really want closure, you can just send a quick email that says something like,
    "I really enjoyed interviewing with you for xyz position on xyz date. I was just wondering about the status of this position. Has it been filled? Thank you so much for your time," or you can call the HR department, tell them you interviewed for the position and ask if it's been filled.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 26, 2018

I don’t think it’s totally impossible that you’ll never hear back. I once interviewed at a private school, and I was their second choice candidate. They didn’t tell me “no” right away because they were going to offer it to me if they didn’t find someone else (they liked me, but it wasn’t a grade that I had interest or experience in, and I told them so). They found someone else who they liked just as much who had the experience they were looking for. So, five weeks later they called to tell me that it wasn’t me.

That’s unusual though. At this point, I’d imagine that you didn’t get the job, or, at minimum, you’re not their first choice. You could send the email that waterfall suggested, but you also could just move on. Either way, continue applying elsewhere.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 26, 2018

Sadly, in teacher interviews, and probably many others, no news is not good news. I just read an article on "ghosting" and the take-away was that no response, is, in fact, the response. It means "no thank you" without anyone having to answer the inevitible question about "why not me?" I actually understand that logic. Staff who interview you will almost never give you any good critiques because there is always a chance it will come back to bite them in the ass somehow. Also, people get tired of delivering bad news, so "forgetting" about it eventually sends the same message without an actual text, call, or letter.

Not saying that this is easy to take, or necessarily fair, but it is common. Understand that and move on in your job hunt. Wishing you the best of luck.

10. JayNWon

JayNWon Rookie

Jun 26, 2018

Have you sent them a "thank you" email after the interview? It's always a nice thing to send them a thank you email while ending it with "I hope to hear back from you soon...".
    However, as other people have mentioned, I think you should continue to apply to other schools, and try to keep those schools out of your mind. It's less likely for schools to wait for a month to hire someone who they don't want to miss. Looking at my friends, the schools were desperate to hire them, that they have gotten offer calls within 3 days, or even after 10 minutes of the interview.

11. Caitlin43

Caitlin43 Rookie

Jun 26, 2018

I didn't send them an email. Which in hindsight I should have. Instead, I wrote a handwritten thank you card and sent it out the same day. I thought it would be more personal and maybe stand out. This is my first interview for a teaching position.

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 26, 2018

You are going to go on a few interviews before you find “the one”. My first job offer was 2 weeks after the interview, but the principal was in contact with me in the mean time, letting me know there was some red tape that needed to be dealt with. I kept applying while I waited, just in case. Since then, anytime I’ve been offered a job, it’s been within 24 hours of interviewing. I don’t always send an email either - sometimes there isn’t time! Keep applying for jobs until you get an offer.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 26, 2018

Please, OP, don't beat yourself up over a thank you note or email. I'm not sure they make a ton of difference. Believe me when I say that everyone on the hiring committee knows you are hoping to hear from them soon. I agree with multiple applications until the right job comes along.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 27, 2018

When I’ve been on interview committees, I knew who I’d be campaigning for after the last interview of the day or sooner. The thank you notes did get a note by their names for next time though. Good manners are always appreciated, but a note isn’t going to get the job for you.

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.