New Teacher Small School

Discussion in 'General Education' started by rskipper6510, Sep 18, 2012.

1. rskipper6510

rskipper6510 New Member

Sep 18, 2012

This is my first year teaching. I am a pre-k and kindergarten teacher in a small rural school. I am the youngest teacher at my school by 30 years (I'm 25). When I started I assessed my kinders and not one of them knew their alphabet, normally I would say ok, they are just starting school, but all of them attended pre-k here last year. Their behaviors were not established either. The other thing is, it's not just my class, for writing the first and second grade write two letters, and not letters like dear mom and dad, but like Aa and Aa that's their writing for the whole day. I don't want my students to be behind just because that the way the school has done it for the past 40 years, but I also don't want to sound like a know it all fresh from college first year teacher. I don't really know what to do. If anyone has some advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 18, 2012

I am in a similar situation much the same way as you are: new really young teacher at a small school.

Uhm, I don't really see the problem here. It's your classroom. That's what's great about these small schools. They generally don't care what your curriculum is as long as you are following the standards.

You can have higher expectations as you please. I would just begin by teaching them what you think they need to know, and then planning the practice into more interesting activities they can do, like writing letters, etc.

Chances are, the other teachers won't know or care what you're doing. They're too busy with their own classrooms. If they really have a problem with it, who can blame you for trying to improve the capabilities of your students?

Don't be afraid to try new things, but don't go overboard, because you have a lot to deal with on your plate already just being a first year teacher. You don't want to burn out.

Just my advice, and good luck. =]

4. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Sep 18, 2012

I understand what you're saying.

I would continue to do what you are doing and teaching the students where you know they are lacking. It wouldn't be a good idea for your to voice anything at this point since you are so new. Keep data on your children (work samples) by showing where they are now and how they progress throughout the year. That way, you are showing growth for their teacher next year.

What do your benchmarks say about where they should be?

5. christine89

christine89 Companion

Sep 18, 2012

I would think it's totally ok to up your expectations for what they should learn. If you end up having to defend what you're doing (very unlikely that you'll have to), just look at the common core standards. Expectations and standards are changing so all the more reason to adopt a more rigorous curriculum. As far as the alphabet thing, I wouldn't worry about it too much. That gives you letter recognition as a starting point in case they didn't have much letter exposure in prek.

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 18, 2012

Congratulations on your new position! You will be fine! No one (I would think) will complain if your kids come to them in 1st knowing more than kids in the past! Enjoy it!

7. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Sep 18, 2012

:yeahthat:

You never know: Those teachers in 1st and 2nd might be frustrated and not even realize it after all this time. And next year when they start to get your students, they'll be so relieved they'll come to you with thanks!

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 19, 2012

As a first grade teacher who has had waaayyyy tooo many struggling kids passed on from k, I know that I would LOVE to have students who were at least ready for 1st!