New Teacher - self-contained 6th grade - help!

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by peachacid, Jan 11, 2009.

1. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Jan 11, 2009

Hey - so I've asked for some help because I was told I would be teaching English and Social Studies for sixth graders, but the school has decided it would be best to keep the sixth graders in two classes, where they are taught all subjects. So...does anyone have any advice as far as planning the day? I have an instructional assistant who's going to be doing most of the math and science, as I have NO training in that...but how do you structure your day?

Thanks! *quivers in boots*

3. snowyday

snowyday Rookie

Jan 11, 2009

There are some great books out there on scheduling your day. I find it best to start with morning meeting and then fill the morning with math and a literacy block. After lunch I do science/social studies and more literacy. With six graders I would schedule your activities in 45min- 1hour chunks and then just fill in all the subjects.

4. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Jan 16, 2009

What is the other 6th grade class doing? It is best to keep a similar schedule.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 16, 2009

I teach sixth grade self contained. I love it. Here's my schedule, more or less. I have specials interspersed also, but they are at different times on different days...

8:00-9:20 Math
    9:20-10:00 Vocabulary
    10:00-11:00 Reading
    11:00-11:55 Writing/Grammar
    12:40-1:00 We partner read with the first graders
    1:00-1:55 Social Studies
    2:30-3:10 Science
    3:10-3:30 Fluent reader

Now, when that works out, it is nice. However, it rarely ever actually works like that. We have to sprinkle PE (3x/week), Music (2-3x), Band (2-3x), Art (1x), Keyboarding (whenever we have time), DARE (1x)...

6. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Jan 21, 2009

I got all excited about this, started planning and everything...and then they switched it back on me. I think that's okay, though, because they did it so I would be more comfortable teaching.

Thanks for your input, though! I hope everything works out well...I am nervous.

7. luv_2_teach

luv_2_teach Rookie

Apr 5, 2009

At my school, self contained teachers are required to follow a certain schedule everyday:

Hour 1: Fine Arts/Enrichment OR Social Studies
    Hours 2-3: Math/Science OR ELA/Reading
    Hours 4-5: Math/Science OR ELA/Reading
    Hour 6: Lunch
    Hour 7: Fine Arts/Enrichment OR Social Studies
    I actually find this schedule to work quite well.