new teacher seeking help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by melg73, Jul 26, 2005.

1. melg73

melg73 New Member

Jul 26, 2005

hi all:

has anyone ever done a short teaching lesson to elementary students on the topic of helen keller. i am trying to prepare one that is fun and interactive and uses age appropriate materials? any ideas or suggestions?
    thanking you in advance for your input.

3. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 26, 2005

Last year w/ my 3rd Graders we were learning about the word "communicaton" (it was a vocab word in Social Studies). I had them read a book on Helen Keller and discussed how there are all sorts of different ways to communicate not just by talking. Then we talked about how animals communicate etc. It really wasn't just Helen Keller, but we focused in on communication and how she overcame her problems. It was also a good way to allow the students to realize that they can do what they put thier minds to, and to TRY! It's something good to do at the beginning of the year. Good Luck.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 26, 2005

You can pair students up and have them communicate ideas to each other without sound of sight. Quite a wake up call.

5. pateacher

pateacher Rookie

Jul 27, 2005

In the past my class read a book about Helen Keller. Then I paired the kids up and had one of the partners put on a blindfold. Their partners gave them several things to touch, feel and find. The kids with the blindfolds really learned how hard it is to be visually impaired. Hope this helps! :)

6. LionPride

LionPride Companion

Jul 27, 2005

Idea

Every year I try to teach my class several simple words using sign language. This is such a wonderful management tool as well as a way to communicate.
    I also like the idea of the blindfolds and the touching of objects.

Hope this helps.

Kelly :)

7. FlyLittleRosie

FlyLittleRosie Rookie

Jul 27, 2005

I had a Math activity with pattern blocks. The kids sat side to side: right shoulder touching right shoulder just enough where they can hear each other, but not see what the other students was making. One student creates a model using his blocks and gives the other student verbal directions. Then they compare their models. It's neat to see their faces when they have totally different models. Then the other student takes turns.

It is a good way for them to see that we are all different and that it is great to be able to have our senses to interact with each other. It gives them a sense of appreciation and understanding.

8. newoldteacher

newoldteacher Companion

Jul 27, 2005

Helen Keller

Helen Keller was born in Tuscumbia, Alabama (my home state!). My class studies her in a unit from our Alabama History text. I usually use a 30 min. animated video (biography) as a introductory activity. After the movie, we discuss what life was like for Helen, her family, her teacher, etc. Then, we discuss what differences there would be in our lives if we were blind and deaf.

I've sometimes allowed my students to write plays with Helen as a character (in cooperative groups) and perform them. The library is a great resource for more information useful in writing assignments. Hope these ideas are helpful. The comments in the above posts were all great, too!

9. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Jul 27, 2005

If you are wanting something with technology, you could take them on a "virtual fieldtrip" to Helen Keller's house. www.helenkellerbirthplace.org The last time I went on that web site there was a virtual tour through her home, along with activities, if I am not mistaken. Do a google search about her and see what comes up. Good luck, and if there is anything else you need, please let me know! :)

10. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

could you culminate your Helen Keller study by watching the movie with Patti Duke Astin as Helen Keller. That was a great one.....she did a wonderful job portraying her.

11. newoldteacher

newoldteacher Companion

Jul 27, 2005

I tried the Patty Duke movie once with 4th graders. It was too intense for many of them. The scenes at the dinner table, and in the cottage were especially troubling for my sensitive kiddos. Just a heads up...to be honest, I have trouble watching that movie and I LOVE Helen Keller.

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

Oh, I forgot about those scenes. Good point. Did you see the one that Melissa Gilbert was Helen Keller and Patty DUke the teacher? It's been so long since I'd seen them, glad you thought of that.

13. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Jul 29, 2005