New Teacher=Schedule/Lesson Plans HELP

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by thechangingtabl, Aug 13, 2006.

1. thechangingtabl

thechangingtabl Companion

Aug 13, 2006

I am a BRAND NEW TEACHER teaching 2nd/3rd grade in a self-contained classroom of 7 students with emotional disabilities. I have an aide. I have the Harcourt adopted texts: Trophies (Reading), Science, Math and Connections (SS) basals that must be followed adopting Sunshine State Standards and Benchmarks. I "must" have a 90 minute reading block everyday. I also have FCAT for my 3rd graders to work towards as well. My students reading and math levels according to AGS testing is ALL OVER THE PLACE, below and above grade levels. How do I plan for this?? Here is my tentative schedule (eventually there will be speech pull-outs and behavior group mtg pull-outs):

7:40-7:50 Announcements-Calendar-Quote & Word of Day
    7:50-9:20 Reading Block (Both Grades)
    9:20-9:25 Exercise-Stretch-Snack Break
    9:25-10:00 3rd Grade Specials (2nd Grade Writing, Enrichment, Ctrs)
    10:00-10:20 RECESS (Both Grades)
    10:20-11:00 Math (Both Grades)
    11:00-11:35 Spelling
    11:35-12:10 2nd Grade Specials (3rd Grade Writing, Enrichment, Ctr)
    12:10-12:15 Bathroom/Wash Hands
    12:15-12:45 LUNCH
    12:45-1:30 Science/Social Studies (alternate-both grades)
    1:30 Dismissal

I know that next week I start Officer Buckle & Gloria (3rd) Reading/Vocab), Chameleon (2nd grade reading/vocab), Math Ch 18 Shapes (2nd); Math Ch 15 Charts, Graphs (3rd); Spelling (both); Sci & SS (don't know yet?).

I don't know how to approach this. Do I read the reading stories from the texts? Do the students read them? I want them to fill out a Story Map, KWL or Main Idea strategy while I am reading or while they are reading? Do I model those strategies as I am reading? I have various worksheets from the supplemental workbooks for the basal (Trophies) and some projects like safety posters or drawing and decorating a chameleon too. I have unit tests as well for Fridays.

For spelling they have a Trophies Spelling workbook/worksheets. I cannot have friday tests, I will do Thursday tests. I will pretest spelling words on Monday in class. For Homeword: Monday 3x, Tues ABC order, Weds, use 5 of 15 words in a sentence. In class Thursday TEST. Do I give the next list of words on Friday then?

I have more questions, but will stop here! HELP

3. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 13, 2006

I haven't had to schedule class like you. I've never had multiple grade levels to teach. I think your set up looks good. You do need to have center time so you can do small groups with each grade level. Since your class is small, maybe you can incorporate computer time (if you have computers).

I Would not give the spelling words on Friday. They have other tests to worry about, and chances are, they aren't going to be looked at over the weekend.

4. thechangingtabl

Aug 13, 2006

hi, thank you for responding. I have center time split up per grade. When one grade is at specials, I have center time set up for the children still in the classroom. If they do not finish earlier assignments or journal writing, then they have to do that first before computer or center time. Also, during spelling daily, if they finish their work, they can use centers-computer time as well.

As far as spelling, I will introduce the words on Monday and plan on doing spelling tests on Thursday. I also wanted to do the reading comprehension test on Thursday as well so we could review on Friday, should I move that or the spelling test to Friday? I plan on having HW Mon-Thurs.

Another question is vocabulary and language arts. How to incorporate these? Should they be under my reading block (the vocab words are from the reading)? We use the Harcourt Language book as well, but how to incorporate?

Thank you

5. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Aug 13, 2006

I personally like getting the new list of Spelling words on Fridays...

My daughters' teachers use Friday as a PRE-Test day to find out what words they already know. So, they get the list but aren't officially "responsible" for starting on them until Monday.

Hope this helps!

6. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 13, 2006

that's a good idea research.

you could do a pre-test. When I did vocab., I taught it before the story. There's actually kind of a game I learned in a workshop. The teacher takes the vocab. words that are in the story and makes index cards. Children get an index card. Anytime they see the word in the story, they raise their hand with the card.

Then, I would discuss what the word means in the sentence. How does it relate to the definition.

7. mrsrooney

mrsrooney Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

Definitely model, model, model! You have to do several KWL/story maps with them before they will be able to do it effectively on their own. I am not familiar with any of the texts you mentioned but I also think that any worksheets you do will have to be taught first. For example: short answer questions. You will need to spend a lot of time teaching them how to answer questions in sentences, restating the question in their answer... before sending them off to do it on their own. If there are similar worksheets for each story (e.g. short answer, cloze...) you could teach them at the beginning and then they will be able to do them independently later on.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 13, 2006

When I used Trophies for 3rd, I alway started on Monday by reading Vocabulary Power, and reviewing the vocabulary words. Then we previewed the basal (Officer Buckle and Gloria) and did it as shared reading. On Tuesday, we did guided reading from the small books that come with Trophies. There is a below grade leve, an on grade level, and an advanced. They use the exact same vocabulary as the Vocabulary Power and Officer Buckle and GLoria. Wednesday was a continuation of guided reading with the small books, as well as a quiz on the small books (we were fortunate to have a test for each small book-- they don't come with the series, someone at our school made them all.) Thursday was a review of the basal story, with vocabulary games and centers. Friday was the test from the testing book (which is heavy in vocabulary.) I always let them read the story one last time before the test.

We did lots more, but that was the basics of it.

9. thechangingtabl

Aug 20, 2006

Thank you, so far we have read the story, worked on the vocabulary, read the story again pointing out the vocabulary and then some worksheet pages on compound words, VCCV and suffixes. We also did a safety poster. We will finish the story next week and do the Spelling Workbook pages from Harcourt as well. Oh, and the unit test too. Thanks for your help!

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 20, 2006