New Teacher Questions

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by MrsHoot, Jul 6, 2009.

1. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

This isn't directly related to 5th grade... but it's what I'm teaching and you will know more about curriculum, etc.

What is the most important thing for me to be doing this summer? I am working full time as a camp counselor so I don't have a ton of time. I've started a few goals for July and a few for August, but I'm just a little overwhelmed.

Standards-- I can read through them, but can't memorize them all. I was thinking about copying them all/printing them out, and then color coding them to what month I "plan" on teaching them in. Although I know plans always change.

Curriculum- I have read through math and L.A. curriculum binders. We use Guiding Readers and Writers Grades 3-6 for Reading and Writing Workshop. Also- Words Their Way for word study. Both of these books- should I read them cover to cover? Or pick and pull different sections of importance?

What would be the 5 most important things for me to do over the summer? Thanks in advance for all of your help!

3. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

On standards I typed them up, placed them on a large index card, laminate, put in order by objective, and place on a ring. This is one of the best things that I did. If I have a question about an objective or standard I just flip through my ring to find it. I love it!

Curriculum- I teach math, and you really do want to know your stuff. Do you need to read it cover to cover? Probably not. I would just read and study as you go. For math, HANDS ON, HANDS ON, HANDS ON. Also, come up with some really good Vocab activities.

Know your Procedures and Expectations
    Be Organized and Ready to Go
    I always get my plans ready for the first 3 weeks before school starts because things are going to be hectic.

4. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 7, 2009

Thanks!!! We are using Envision math which tries to be more technology based. Their old curriculum was Math Investigations which is a lot more hands on, so I plan on going through both and picking and pulling out of there depending on the different activities offered.

Did you separate your standards by subject as well? Thtat's a really good idea, I may do that as well!