New Teacher Questions

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by ajm7, Aug 3, 2006.

1. ajm7

ajm7 Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

I went into my room yesterday to get things organized and see what supplies and materials I would have available to me and there really wasn't anything!! There were two boxes of things that the previous teacher had ordered and when I opened them up I found art supplies (I will be teaching 5th grade Science), a stapler (there a now 4 in the room) and a few three ring binders. I don't know, what do you need to teach 5th grade Science? I would have thought that you would need some test tubes, petri dishes, stuff to do experiments, etc., but there is nothing in the room. There was a box of decorations that I went through and nothing was Science related.
    Also, do I need to make a syllabus at this grade level, and if so what do I need to include in it?
    Does anyone have any ideas for the first couple of days?
    What kind of supplies will I need to buy myself and what kind will the school provide?

Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

3. falcons88

falcons88 Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

You need to get with your office manager. These are the front office people that really run the show. They will have supplies for you, however talk to your department head about the Science releated stuff.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 3, 2006

It totally depends on the school. Are you in a regular classroom? Is there a curriculum? Ask if it comes with a kit.