New teacher-question about library

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by New3rdTeacher, May 6, 2008.

1. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

May 6, 2008

:help:Hello there,:help:
    I am a brand new teacher. Will be starting in the fall. I am working on getting a library together. I feel that's one of the very most important things I need for my classroom.
    I need suggestions on where to get books, how many I should have, and other suggestions. I am unsure about this at this time so I need help.:wub:
    Thank you so much!!!:thanks:
    Rachelle

3. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

May 6, 2008

I have had great success at goodwill! I also got several lots on EBAY on specific series that I know my students will like. I also got several current, popular series from Scholastic book orders.

I collected a nice sized library this year, manly from Goodwill and other thrift stores. Some days I went on half off day and got so many books. Sometimes I walked out with none. You have plenty of time! Half price books is good too.

You might want to think of how you are going to organize them, by level, genre, etc. How you want students to store them (bags of books, book nooks, etc).

Good luck! You might want to see if your school uses AR or Reading Counts. That way you can use their catalog of quizzes a little bit when looking for books. Your kids will be a variety of reading levels, so my library goes from Beginning Readers to Advanced Chapter books.

4. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

May 7, 2008

I have also gotten a lot of books from book orders and yard sales. You might also ask around and see if any relatives or friends have any books they don't want/need any more. Sometimes our public library has books for sale for 10 cents or so.

5. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 7, 2008

As a new teacher this year I didn't have a classroom library. The PTO president got me 50 books from Scholastic with leftover money. So your PTO might be able to help you.

Our local library has a huge sale of old library books in the early fall. I went there and got a ton of books (nonfiction, fiction, biographies). All they asked was for a donation.

After school got rolling I used my Scholastic points quite a bit from my students ordering books.

I would check out garage sales this summer. I plan on looking around for more.

I agree with buck8teacher, look into whether or not they use AR or Reading Counts. I've built a lot of my library around our Reading Counts quizzes. With using the quizzes I have a range of Lexile leveled books. I labeled my books according to Lexile level.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 7, 2008

Also check with your future school. They often have a set amount of money for each teacher to spend. Find out if you can be reimbursed if you find a good sale.

Schools will also often have books in the library available to the teachers. These are not the books out on the shelves. Our school has several boxes of readers at 1st/2nd grade level, and we can use them in the classroom.

Even thrift stores will sometimes give a discount to teachers! One suggestion, if you get books from a thrift store, make sure they don't smell musty - kids will not read them.

Ask all your relatives and friends to keep an eye out for good books when they go to garage sales this summer. Truthfully, lots of people will pick up books for a teacher, spend $5 and just donate the books. Keep any receipts for things you buy, or make a receipt for garage sale items - you can deduct up to $400 off your taxes for things you buy for teaching.

One other way to get good books is to call local schools and tell them if their retiring teachers would like to get rid of some of their books, you are just starting out and would love to buy some. These teachers will often give the books away. Of course, if they have friends in your grade level, they might give them away there instead. But I know I would donate some books to a new teacher if I were retiring.

7. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 7, 2008

I inheritted several books when I moved into my new classroom this year. Other than that, hit up any and all resale shops, ebay, and garage sales. Also check for Scholastic Warehouse sales in your area. I still don't have a ton of books, but I'm working on it. Definitely try for used books, otherwise you'll go broke trying to find enough books! One other thing, don't expect to have a perfect, complete library by day one of school. You'll add to it throughout the year and following years.

8. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

May 7, 2008

1. catalog them so they are leveled
    2. catalog them so the students can put them back in the right spot

google beth newingham- she has a wonderful library and how-to's on how to set up your library

9. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

May 7, 2008

I think Beth Newingham is amazing. Her library is incredible!!! Wow. I have ordered books on Ebay and I went to the salvation army today and purchased ( I was shocked!!!) 100 books for $5..serioulsy I was so surprised!
    I am trying to get as many genres as possible, it's kinda hard but will take time :)