New teacher-question about applying

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Huntergirl, May 19, 2014.

1. Huntergirl

Huntergirl New Member

May 19, 2014

Hello!

I am completely new to the teaching field. I graduated from college 3 years ago with a Biology degree. I've worked in the biological science field and wildlife field doing temporary positions since graduating. I've been working as an intern for my state's wildlife dept. working with the outdoor education programs, so I do have some experience teaching. I haven't been able land a full-time position in this field because I can't move to other parts of the state. So I have decided to become a science teacher. I have just been approved to get my alternative teaching certification. I can take the teacher tests in June and finish the certification process by the end of the summer.

Within the past week, I talked with some of the schools in my area and they all said they accept applications from people who aren't completely certified yet, but are in the process. I have applied to 8 school districts so far. Two of which I applied by emailing the principal and they replied saying they already filled their position. The other 5/6 had online applications or applied through the administration office. All of those schools have multiple science teacher positions open in the high school.

So my question is this. . .Should I email the principal or superintendent of those schools directly to say I have applied and I am interested. Or should I sit back and wait and see if I get a call?

3. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

May 19, 2014

I think it just depends on the school district. I know one of the larger ones where I live says on the website you apply on specifically not to contact the schools individually. Maybe give it a few days/week and send a follow up email to confirm that the application was received. That way you are making contact, but not being overbearing.

4. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

May 19, 2014

Unless there was something explicitly stating you shouldn't, I would absolutely e-mail the department head of the school(s) you are interested in. I would send a quick note that you have completed the district application, express your interest in the job, and attach your resume. A couple of years ago I submitted the online applications and waited for replies. I got very few of them, and the ones I got were not from the highly desirable schools.

This year I again submitted online applications, and as soon as they were complete I e-mailed the department head at my dream school. I got the interview (and the job). Colleagues of mine that have gotten jobs in desirable districts have echoed this advice. The one thing I heard over and over again when I started my job search this year was to e-mail the department head directly and for me it paid off. :2cents:

Good luck! (Oh, and I'm a biology teacher, so YAY!)

5. teach1

teach1 Companion

May 20, 2014

I agree.

Also, during your job search I would recommend finding the fine line between being proactive and being a pest. Unfortunately, it's a really fine line!

6. heatherewf

heatherewf Rookie

May 20, 2014

I agree with emailing. I've been out of school for three years and have been working as a tutor. I have definitely received a ton more interviews when I send a cover letter via email with my resume attached after submitting my application via Applitrack. I personally feel that Applitrack means your application is piled in with hundreds of applicants and it's much easier for the principal, assistant superintendent, etc to peruse your resume first and then find you on Applitrack if they like you. I still have yet to get a job but I've gotten three interviews so far this month with emailing versus three for the whole summer without emailing.

7. eireannash

eireannash Rookie

May 28, 2014

I say email too. I was just non renewed due to cuts. I started applying on a Saturday and by the next Saturday I had 6 interviews all of which I emailed the principal. I kept it short and sweet. I mentioned applying, how interested I was, attached a resume and cover letter and that was that. I, in the past, have also hand delivered resumes and cover letters if it did not say anything about it being a no no on the online app. Everytime the P was busy, but I spoke to the secretary and left it with her.

Good luck!