New Teacher - please help!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Kribensis12, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Kribensis12

Kribensis12 New Member

Aug 23, 2015

Hello! Long story short - I am a full time sub for Earth and Space Science, but my degree is in History Ed (just graduated). I do have a passion for science and have always done well in those types of classes, so I'm not totally "lost". Anyway - I have a really fun homework idea that I'd like to assign my students but I could really use some input.

According to the Indiana Dept. of Ed., I must teach my students about Maps. Now, this is generally a boring subject (even as a Historian...), so I'm trying to "spice it up". I'd really like to assign my students homework where they have to go geocaching throughout the city (well lit, safe and easy to find places) and record information down at every spot they go to (Lat. Long. etc.). With GPS, most students will never look at a map or find them pertinent. In this manner, they will be doing a fun activity and be learning at the same time. I have a couple of questions though that I think might be deal breakers for this assignment - so please share your thoughts!

1. Transportation (though they will be in groups)

2. Technology (requires a smartphone)

3. Pertinency (is it this important?)

What are your thoughts? I really want them to enjoy learning about Maps, but this was all I could think of. If you have an suggestions, please do so!

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2015

4. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

Aug 24, 2015

I would hesitate to say that maps are boring for everyone. I love maps. Maybe try a treasure hunt?