New Teacher Orientation!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by each1teach1, Jun 19, 2008.

1. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jun 19, 2008

Woohoo! It's that time of year where you go to your new district to go to orientation to get...orientated (<--is that a word? I think it's a word. Hmmm...oh well.) Does anyone else have an orientation coming up or already has completed an orientation? How was it? I know it's probably nothing to get too excited over, but I can't help it. It makes it feel more official! :D

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2008

All of my orientations have been in August a few weeks b/f school started. I LOVED orientation!! It gave me a chance to really get to know the district, other new teachers, the new teachers in my building. You'll enjoy it!

4. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jun 19, 2008

Well I have an orientation next Tuesday which is at the administrative bldg and is just for new teachers in the district. Then there is a second one that is a week long at my school which is just for new teachers at my school and then there is a third one the following week at my school for all the teachers. I'm very excited!

5. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jun 19, 2008

In May, my school hosted a new teacher orientation where the new teachers came and met the administration and fellow newbies. The principal and APs presented an informational PowerPoint on the school, its policies, and what would be expected of us this summer. Then we got to meet our team teachers and tour the school (and see our classrooms!). I was so excited about that orientation, because it made me feel "real". I will start district orientations in mid-July.

6. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Jun 19, 2008

my district orientation is near the end of august... 25th or so. (its a huge district, over 50 schools in a big city). however, i'm not sure when the school i'm working for is having their mini orientation.

7. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2008

My orientation will be a week-long in the midde of August, two weeks before school begins. I can't wait to start. I was always one of those students, that by the time half the summer was gone around the end of June, I began getting excited for the school year. It's no different now that I'm a teacher. :) I think a month a half to two months is all I can take of not being super productive.

8. MomtoCAV

MomtoCAV Rookie

Jun 19, 2008

My orientation will last for one week, beginning July 28th. (About two weeks before school starts.) I am nervous, as I don't have a school or grade yet - just a contract. There is also the possibility that I won't even have these until school actually starts. I am very excited about the orientation and can't wait!

9. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 19, 2008

My orientation will be the 2nd wk in Aug & then there is a week of in service/PD after. The teachers in my grade level along with the principal will be going to a retreat within the next few weeks which would have been a great opportunity for bonding & getting to know each other but unfortunate between work & training I am not going to be able to go.

At least I had the opportunity to have dinner with the teachers a few weeks ago.

10. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 19, 2008

My is in August, the week or 2 before school starts for students. It can be fun and interesting - I think mostly to see and meet the other new teachers but some of the stuff they went over was so dry and long - I was itching to get into my classroom and get organized for school. :)

11. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jun 19, 2008

That's how I was and still I am. This past week I've been reading books about how to be a good teacher (Rookie Teaching for Dummies- It was actually REALLY good. I was surprised) and I made my main rules for my classroom and I've been thinking about procedures that I want to put in place in my classroom. I basically have the first day of school planned out with a little room to put in whatever administration requires. Now I'm sketching out a class theme bulletin board I want to put up. lol. I'm a dork like that. :blush::D

12. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2008

Loved Rookie Teaching for Dummies. Got it before I even entered the ACP program!

And I just attended my first orientation today -- it was a mixed crowd though, as it was billed the district's "New Employee Orientation," and there were paras and other new employees as well as teachers.

Our teacher in-service is the week before school starts, and that is an orientation period as well.

Yes, it does feel more "official." :)

13. BackpocketNJ

BackpocketNJ Rookie

Jun 20, 2008

My orientation is somewhere in the middle/later portion of August. I think I have like 8 -10 days after before schools starts.

I wish there was an earlier orientation day in the summer just so I have something to get started with.

14. crzymtngirl75

crzymtngirl75 Rookie

Jun 20, 2008

I wish there was an earlier orientation day in the summer just so I have something to get started with.[/QUOTE]

Me too! I have mine at the end of July and we start Aug 11. I did teach 2nd semester this past year without the benefit of the "New Teacher Academy."

So...I am now looking forward to getting the info that other new teachers already had!

15. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 20, 2008

Mine is 1.5 weeks prior to school starting. However, I got my keys already and am feeling more official :)

I think the word is Oriented. We'll get oriented.

16. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Jun 20, 2008

Ours is:

District is 3 days 2 weeks before school starts from 8-4.
    School is the 3 days before school starts - included in that is department meetings etc.

17. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 5, 2008

I got a chance to spend a week (well 4 days) with all 3 schools that a part of my private school for professional development. It gave me an excellent idea of who I'll be working with, what is expected of teachers there, and how much fun it'll be. I even got to meet my co-advisor (we'll handle homeroom together) and my mentor teacher (someone who isn't a part of my grade or subject, but is there to help me with all the new teacher stuff at the school--- she's been there for a number of years now).

My orientation for the new middle school teachers doesn't start until the 3rd week of August and it's only 2 days long (Thursday and Friday). The last week of August is teacher orientation for all the middle school teachers though--- so I'm guessing 7 days of orientation will be plenty. :)

Right now I'm staying busy with packing and moving into a new apartment, so I'm glad orientation won't be for awhile.

18. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 5, 2008

I am changing districts, last year I was a new teacher.....but I missed New Teacher training (I did make it up, later).

So I get to go to New Teacher Orientation on July 21-25, then preplanning July 28 and Meet the teacher July 31, students start Aug 4th!

I wish it was sooner....I a excited, though.

19. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 5, 2008

I don't think there is a new teacher orientation thing in our district... I'm actually ok with that because I did a long term supply at the school I'm going into now, and everyone there has been very supportive about explaining how things work, and I know who I can go to with any questions...

BTW, Oriented is the word, not orientated :lol:

20. Zarathi

Zarathi Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

I've never been to this orientation before.....What should I expect?

21. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

I just received a letter with all the detail, certain days they are providing lunch and some days are breakfast and lunch.
    One the last day a BBQ with all the principals....
    The letter says in-service type of events, policies and procedure I would guess...tips for classroom management, etc...

22. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

These are the topics covered in my 3 day new teacher orientation:

Mentor program overview
    Laptop 101 Training
    Classroom set-up information
    Instructional expectations
    Benchmark assessments
    Classroom management and Parent commnication/involvement
    Instructional materials overview
    Making sense of Acronyms (there are a ton in my system!)
    Some training for an acronym I don't know
    Panel discussion with leadership team
    New Teacher Orientation (County wide) which looks like it will be a pow-wow with all the new teachers in my county led by the Head Honcho

That is after a 2 day cirriculum meeting at my school and before a week-long pre-planning filled to the brim with meetings. I am going to be meeting-ed out when my kiddos come!

23. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 9, 2008

hmm...before we even have new teacher staff development, we have other stuff to do. First, of course, we had new teacher orientation where you give them a copy of your transcripts, certificate, ss card, birth certificate, license and your soul (mwahahaha...lol). Then they give you crap loads of papers to fill out (insurance, payroll, keycards, professional development schedules, employee handbooks acknowledgment of receipt, etc.)

Next I have to go to Blackboard E-Learn to learn how to work the classroom portal that the parents can check to find out what's going on in the classroom. This may also include the electronic grade book I'm not sure.

After that I have to go to PDAS so I can be trained on how the system that is used to evaluate teacher effectiveness works.

Then there's new teacher professional development where we'll meet our mentor teachers, learn about the curriculum and instruction for our subject and level, learn how to set up the classrooms, receive our laptops, etc. which will be capped off with a luncheon thrown by the city chamber of commerce.

Then after that is the full teacher professional development at your homeschool.

It's kind of exhausting to think about, but exciting none the less.

24. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 9, 2008

I'm so excited for my orientation, which starts the second week in August. The first two days are PLC planning at my school. Day three and four are various workshops, speakers, and demonstrations. Day five is at my school with my principal. So far I'm the only 1st year teacher, so it looks like it'll be 1-on-1 with my principal. Creepy! :)

There's also four days of classes during the first week of August. I signed up for five classes. Lastly, there's a cookout for all first year teachers before school starts. I'm really looking forward to this one! I haven't made friends since I relocated, and I'm getting lonely lol!

25. Zarathi

Zarathi Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

I'm excited about selling my soul and meeting all the new people. Is this strange? lol

26. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 13, 2008

DITTO, me too! :up: