New Teacher Orientation

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by DrgnJones, Aug 4, 2015.

1. DrgnJones

DrgnJones Rookie

Aug 4, 2015

All I have been told about my orientation is the place and dates. Has anybody been to their orientation yet? How did it go?

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2015

Here it's just a bunch of paperwork.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2015

When I lived in NC, my orientation was a whole week. We went over handbooks and other super-boring things.

5. CatfaceMeowmers

CatfaceMeowmers Companion

Aug 4, 2015

We've had so many different "meetings" and "orientations." There are various days for paper signing. I had mine about 3 weeks ago. Our first contracted day is August 12th. But before that, we have a day of "non-required" meetings. And I believe August 12th will be our official "new teacher orientation." That whole week we have different meetings. Either way, I am very happy with all of this information and opportunities to talk with other new teachers, and veteran teachers.

6. kaitydid

kaitydid Rookie

Aug 4, 2015

I had two different orientations. There was a district orientation on July 31 that gave all the teachers new to the district the ins and outs and the expectations of the district as a whole. Then, each school held a school orientation on August 3 to go over specific expectations and policies and procedures of the school we'll be teaching at. They weren't too bad, but it was kind of overwhelming because they fed us a lot of new information in the span of only one day. They were helpful, though, and answered a lot of questions we had. It was really nice to meet other teachers, especially the ones that are brand new like me.

7. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 4, 2015

It was just paperwork for us!
    This was the also the day we actually signed the contract

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2015

We have a regional new teachers academy. It's awesome. Each new teacher is assigned a coach who meets with them several times over the year. The orientation days also cover some 'basics' and current trends.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2015

I've always had to go to new teacher days, because of moving so much with the military. This is my 9th year, and I'm hoping it's the last time I have to be considered a new teacher. My new teacher academy is Monday-Wednesday this week. They actually pay us more because of it ($300 a day). I'm happy that this is the first district that actually had activities planned for teachers who were not brand new. We had 7 mini classes that we went to, based off our interests and experience level. We also have had whole group sessions, active shooter training, grade level/department meetings tomorrow, and we'll get a little bit of work time. But it was pretty disappointing when they gave 1st and 2nd year teachers $100 gift cards, and teachers with more experience didn't get anything.

10. DrgnJones

DrgnJones Rookie

Aug 9, 2015

Thanks for the feedback. Orientation starts tomorrow, and I'm so excited!

11. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Aug 9, 2015

This is interesting to read about. At my school it was a half-day session of paperwork... and that was it.

12. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 12, 2015

I was just hired as a new teacher, nervous and excited.......orientation is Aug 24 and 25 and it is unpaid....all teachers report to their building on Aug 26 for meetings etc there and then after that will be days of division PD and building PD before the kids arrive Sept 8th.

13. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Aug 13, 2015

I just got my schedule for new teacher orientation - 2 days! It looks like mostly meetings to introduce key people in the district, go over IEP/504 laws, district policies and procedures, and time with our mentors. Oh, plus a little walking tour of the town to learn some history, which I am excited for!

I've already made one new friend in my school (grade level partner) but she is not new to the district so she won't be at this. Nerve-wracking to have to meet so many new people at once! But also exciting :)

14. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 16, 2015

For me, it was paperwork and what to expect during your first year. Very easy.

15. smile3

smile3 Rookie

Aug 16, 2015

mine is soon! 2 wks..