New Teacher Orientation

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by TXspedteach, Jun 26, 2012.

1. TXspedteach

TXspedteach Rookie

Jun 26, 2012

I was just wondering what new teacher days include? My district has 7 new teacher days! I am curious as to what all was covered in your new teacher orientation.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2012

Ours includes one day to sign forms and learn about salary, benefits, insurance, union, etc. Then there are days offering classes in classroom management, organizational skills, curriculum, etc.

7 does seem a little excessive. Maybe they are including time for you to work in your classroom or attend regular pre-school professional development?

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 26, 2012

Our district had 5 days for us when I was first hired, but I don't know if it's still that many after budget cuts. Our days were spent going over district policy, meeting the folks from central office, learning the lesson plan program, the gradebook program and the attendance program, etc. There were 2 days of professional development (things that the rest of the district teachers had been required to attend the year before), and there were a handful of motivational speakers thrown in for fun. :)

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2012

Meeting people from the school and district, working with a mentor, time in classroom, learning district curriculum

6. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 26, 2012

Wow! Seven days is a lot. Our district does it all in about 2. There are lots of forms to fill out, and the rest of the time is spent in district orientation - getting to know the district focus and who's who.