New teacher, no experience

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by newh00, Aug 27, 2014.

1. newh00

newh00 Rookie

Aug 27, 2014

Hi, I am a new 7th grade social studies teacher. I have a class of 24 students, 8 of whom are EC. I have no experience with IEP's or modifications. In my college classes they always touched on modifying assignments, but it was usually for things like ELL students, or students with ADHD. I find most of those modifications easy, because they help other students as well.

I look at their IEP's and most are SOOO confusing to me. It is hard to see if some of the testing mods are for benchmarks/eogs, or for ALL tests. Some of their IEPs have nothing listed for SS but mods for reading/la that would be helpful in SS.

Any help would be appreciate, or any resources that I can read...

What could I do if I had a student who:

-cannot write well (needs a computer for writing assignments) I have not gotten a complete sentence from the student, but when reading-I asked them to write down important words for the "taking notes" portion--that seemed to work.
    -a student who should receive 65% of what their peers receive
    -writes, but no sentences, nothing that makes sense--unless its in front of them to copy down. They labeled things---options were listed on the board, so they copied that--but it took awhile. They can tell me what it says, when I ask them to repeat it back to me--but only a few of them look somewhat like words.
    -extended time on all assignments (what do I do after we have moved on and they have finished)
    -preferential seating/sit near the teacher....when 8 of your students are preferential seating and they are in groups of three's
    Any other tips for someone with no experience?

I feel so inadequate, I just want to give all of my students the best and help them be successful. :( I know this is alot...

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2014

The students are lucky to have a teacher like you!!

4. newh00

newh00 Rookie

Aug 27, 2014

Some of them were specific (sit near teacher to have quick access to help) but I will check and see for the others.

Thank you for the great suggestions. I am trying to get my student a computer to type on, I have one that shuts down randomly and my laptop.

The student who should receives 65% of what their peers do: ex: students had to come up with 5 guesses about a primary source, I told this specific student come up with as many as they could...they came up with 3 before we moved on and shared.

5. stepka

stepka Comrade

Aug 28, 2014

2 words--cloze notes.