New Teacher, New Class! HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by 77firewife, Oct 23, 2004.

1. 77firewife

77firewife New Member

Oct 23, 2004

The center I work at just opened on Monday the 18th. I have only 3 two year olds. Two of them are twins and are very shy, withdrawn, and just different. It has been a challenge for me to stick to my lesson plans that have worked with two's in the past. The children don't want to dance, sing, or do anything that requires them to be noticed by anyone. They are fine playing in areas alone but when I want to do art, music, story, abc's or whatever.... I end up doing it alone :( . I love to teach my kids but it is hard to do. I figure once they are comfortable in a routine then they might loosen up. How do I get the routine going? HELP ME PLEASE :eek: :(

3. nelsam

nelsam Rookie

Oct 23, 2004

I had only a few children over this past summer. I also found that in very small groups they were not as interested in projects and routines. In fact, I found it kind of hard to find anything to do because they simply wanted to play and there were very few arguments because we had more than enough of everything for the three or four of them. The best part was that we could take lots of trips outside the center with so few kids. We went to museums and parks and even the swimming pool when I only had one or two kids. Dramatic play was also a big hit. I had more time, to plan and gather materials to build on their interests and could create more elaborate set ups. Mostly, I took the kids lead and tried to expand on their individual favorite things. There will be plenty of time to build the routine when there are more children in the room. For now, enjoy the calm time to get close to the few children you have.

4. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Oct 23, 2004

I think you are right, that when they get more comfortable with the situation, they will loosen up. It probably is hard to do anything more than play with that age with such a small group. Keep trying though. The children will still learn by watching you even if they don't seem to be actively involved themselves.

Don't hesitate to talk to the parents, too. Maybe they can give you suggestions and opinions about their child's behavior.

Good luck! Dont' get discouraged. It's still early.

5. 77firewife

77firewife New Member

Oct 23, 2004

Thank you for the ideas, I can't take trips though. That would be great :D . So I will focus on what each child enjoys and write my lesson plans around that. I would like to talk to the parents but 2 of my kids are a set of twins and they come from a family of 5 (another set of twins and a brother)....the mother says it is very "crazy" at their house. Have you ever gotten the feeling that things aren't how they should be with a childs home life :confused: ? Well thats is what I gather there. So I will slowly work around what the babes like to do when they are in my care. ;)

6. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Oct 24, 2004

I can imagine that two sets of twins in one family plus another sibling would make a house pretty 'crazy'! I have felt the same way about not knowing if things are right at home. It's hard to know when you see parents for such a short amount of time.

I think you have a good attitude about it. Keep us posted!

7. Julianne

Julianne New Member

Oct 24, 2004

You have great ideas with following what each child enjoys, particularly whilst your numbers are low. This will allow you to really get in touch with each child and provide for their individual strengths, needs and interests. The other thing I would suggest if you consider something just does not seem right is to love them, provide them with total acceptance and unconditional love.

8. SleddingSister

SleddingSister Rookie

Oct 24, 2004

shy kids

I usually have a few children every year..that are shy...i find out what they like...from either them or their parents..then i base my first few weeks of curriculum on that..or i add their favorites to mine....ask them silly questions and just make them feel at home... :p

9. omygaush

omygaush Rookie

Oct 24, 2004

It's going to be a little difficult at the beginning. Especially since they are new to the center and the subject of "routine." It will be good to be have some kind of routines at the beginning but remain flexible. If you notice that the children are more interested in playing, let them play more, sing songs and reading time a little less at the beginning. By doing that, at least they have some kind of concept that they are still doing certain things in certain sequence. With lots of observation on what their interests are, you can derive lesson plans. Since those lesson plans involve activities that interest them, you will attract them to those activities.