New Teacher Needs Suggestions!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by ScrapJunkie, Apr 26, 2006.

1. ScrapJunkie

ScrapJunkie New Member

Apr 26, 2006

I was offered my first teaching job today (!!!!!) and I need suggestions on things I should be gathering this summer for my classroom in the fall!! I went through an ACP program so I never did student teaching and don't have anything other than a few folder games. I will be teaching 2nd grade. What are some things that are essential to your classroom? What are things that you have brought into your classroom that you would reccomend? What types of "centers" do you have set up in your room, how and when are they used, what do they look like, what types of furniture are used in them? Thanks so much! Also, if anyone knows of places to get inexpensive wall decorations for my classroom, that would be great too! :thanks:

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 26, 2006

You probably need to go see the classroom and see what is already in there for supplies. And the school is probably doing budget and order right about now. So you may want to ask about that to.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 26, 2006

Hi, ScrapJunkie. Welcome to AtoZ. Congratulations on your job. Did you know that you can search by keywords on the discussion boards. Use the search feature at the top. Put in supplies and you will get tons of excellent information.

5. NCP

NCP Comrade

Apr 26, 2006

Congratulations!
    I agree with the above poster. We are just doing our Central Supply Order for next year, and since we are adding a new teacher, but don't know who yet, we are including enough supplies for that person. As for things I have bought myself that I could not live without, these include:
    * Pocket Charts! I have two standard sized ones, a 100's chart (this was supplied by my math program), a medium (6 pocket) one for center rotations, and a tabletop one at the words center.
    * plastic tubs- I have a lot, but in particular I love my colored ones I use for reading group materials.
    * mini white boards made from shower board!
    * mini offices (do a search)
    I can't think of any more, but I will post aging if I do.

6. KatieS

KatieS Rookie

Apr 27, 2006

Hi! Congratulations on your new job! I just got hired this week for my first teaching job also!

I'm starting with the big things for my room first. I just ordered a director's chair online. They are the perfect height for doing any overhead work. I also use this chair as the "author's chair" when students share their writing.

I'm also getting extra large pillow inserts from Ikea (they are around $5) and then covering with heavy duty fabric that I plan to buy at a discount fabric store. I will use these for the reading area.

If you have an Ikea nearby, you should check it out. You can get awesome storage systems and tons of supplies for amazingly cheap prices.

I also plan on buying some pocket charts. These were great for building word walls and posting items such as essential questions and rubrics.

I will also use stacked baskets to organize my materials and to collect student work. During my student teaching I had a basket for each day of the week to organize my materials. I would stack any handouts that I had for each lesson in order for the day. That way, things never got misplaced. I then had a basket for each subject for students to submit work.

Check with your principal and see what your budget will be for ordering supplies. I know that our PTA provides each teacher with additional funds (I think a few hundred dollars each year) for supplies.

7. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2006

Check out yard sales- especially this time of year!
    I've found tons of great stuff from homeschooling families, retiring teachers, moving teachers, etc.
    Last year I got almost two hundred books- brand new leveled readers- from a teacher that was moving. I had taught her kids before, so when I showed up at her yard sale she sold me the whole set for about $10

8. ptatreasurer432

ptatreasurer432 Rookie

Apr 28, 2006

You Can Buy Books On Ebay For Your Reading Center

9. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Apr 28, 2006

The best thing to do is obtain as many books as possible. You want to set up a very good classroom library. You can get books from yard sales and discount book sales. Do you have a "Half Price Books" store near you? They have excellent clearance books for as low as 25 cents. I use a homemade bookcase to go under my chalkboard to hold my classroom library. I went to Lowe's or Home Depot and got cinder blocks with planks of wood. I spray painted the blocks and have tubs sitting on this structure to house my books. At first I was afraid if it would be sturdy enought but it has been AWESOME. Lots of rubbermaid tubs, small ones, big ones...

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2006

And don't forget stickers!!! Buy a pack or two every time you hit a Walmart/K-Mart/Target. As a HS teacher I go through a ton; my kids' elementary school teachers must have stock in the company!

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 28, 2006

Places like Dollar Tree are also carrying teacher supplies. See if you can find one, or something like it.

I agree with those that said look for books. I get most of my books at garage sales and flea markets. This is my 2nd year teaching and my classroom library is close to 3000 books. Once you start book clubs (Scholastic-if you choose to), you can find cheap books there and use your bonus points.

What I do each year is get several teacher supply books (Really Good Stuff, ETA Cuisenare, Apple Tree, Education Station, ect...) and do a type of wish list. I fold down the edge of the page and circle what I would like to have. I then go back and make a list of stuff I really need to start off the year with (chart paper, incentive charts, stickers to match, teaching books I know I need, ect...). Once I'm done adding up the approximate total of those, I see how much money I have left (of the school's money) to spend on my wish list.

I also have a Froggy Bank (piggy bank that is a frog) that my grandmother gave me a couple of years ago. Whenever I have extra change, or dollars, I put it in there. At the beginning of the year I cash all the change in and have a little shopping spree in an educational store. My grandmother also saves her loose change for me to put it. It adds up over the school year.

12. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 28, 2006

Scrapjunkie-congrats on your new job. As for cheap wall decorations-the best thing for that is student work. It is okay for your walls to be kind of bare in the beginning, in fact, alot of teacher resource books will say to add stuff as the year goes along. ( it's still fun though!) Have fun!

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 28, 2006

A lot of teachers get rid of stuff at the end and beginning of each year too. You might ask the secretaries if they start putting things out in the hallways as freebies at the end of the year. Then you can also have a collection of stuff started.

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 28, 2006

Wal-Mart also sells teacher supplies near the beginning of the school year.

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 29, 2006

Did anyone mention construction paper? I have a large drawer full of it. Half of it is white (because you can use it for anything), and the other half is different colors. I find that I use white the most. Then red, blue, green, and black. I also have a couple packs of yellow, orange, purple, pink, ect... I get it at Hobby Lobby when it's half off. If they run out of what you need you can ask for a rain slip.

16. Pecas

Pecas Companion

Apr 29, 2006

Make sure you keep your receipts for tax time if your school doesn't reimburse you!

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 29, 2006

Does anyone's school actually reimburse all expenses? I'll move if they do!

18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 29, 2006

Use laminated die cuts to make sight word memory, math fact memory games, ordering numbers and phonics activities. I use colored blank index cards to make sight word go fish, fact family go fish, and "I have..., who has..." games for every subject. My kids love those games. I let them check out the games and take them home since we never seem to have time in class to play them as much as they want.

19. ScrapJunkie

ScrapJunkie New Member

Apr 29, 2006

Wow!! Thanks everyone for your help!! I'm going to have to print out all of the tips! You are all so wonderful! Thanks again!

20. UpNorth

UpNorth Rookie

Apr 30, 2006

Maybe explore craigslist.org - then click on your city (most major cities are listed on the right side of the screen). Then look under the "for sale" column, then under "FREE."

This "free" category is where people in your area can essentially give things away. You just have to pick it up. Keep checking back often and you might be able to score free things that people simply don't want anymore... I've seen bookshelves, magazines (for cutting up during arts & crafts), couches and chairs (for a reading/library area), corkboards, etc.

Good Luck! :)