New Teacher Needs Help

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Stretch9382, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Stretch9382

Stretch9382 Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

Hi Everyone,

Finally got my own classroom teaching second grade and am a little worried about classroom managment and other little odds and ends. I was just wondering how some of you handle kids who need to go to the bathroom, what activities you have planned for the first day of school, if you give homework and do you correct it the next day with the kids. I probably have so many more questions to ask but I will start with these. Thank you for your help! :)

3. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Aug 26, 2007

This is my first year teaching and I am in 2nd grade too. After two weeks, I have found the most useful book to be "Rules in School" part of the responsive classroom series. It explains classroom management so well and I am actually looking forward to the next week...:rolleyes:

For bathrooms, you need some way to keep track of how many times kids go and put a limit on it. I know it sounds harsh, but some kids will really push the limits and just go to dawdle in the halls.

Homework is something we as a team are still trying to work out, but I feel reading a certain amount every night is a must. Honestly, the first day is still a blur so I am not quite sure how to help you there, but I would recommend using Amelia Bedelia Plays Ball to help you illustrate a listening lesson. If you want the specifics let me know and I will line it up for you a little better.

HTH!

4. Stretch9382

Stretch9382 Rookie

Aug 27, 2007

Thanks so much for the response. I totally understand that kids can abuse bathroom privileges. I guess these are just a few things I will learn as the school year goes along! Any other ideas or information you have will be greatly appreciated! Good luck to you!

5. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Aug 27, 2007

I teach second grade also. For the bathroom, my students need to sign out (in a notebook) which allows me to see how many times they have gone that day, and then they put their name up in a pocket hanging on the wall (one for boys and one for girls) so I can look and quickly see if anyone is already in the bathroom. The first week or two of school many students will have to go to the bathroom because they are still getting used to the new schedule after summer vacation, but some students will be testing you to see how many times they can go so I usually end up having a talk with them about how many times and when they may go.
    Keep the first day of school pretty light. When they come in my students usually color in a picture of a person to look like themselves so I can use it for a bulletin board about the class. I usually read the story "First Day Jitters" and we talk about being nervous on the first day of school. We go over rules and routines of the classroom. I send them on a scavenger hunt to locate different things in the classroom so they quickly learn where things are. I usually teach math on the first day because it's a really easy lesson. I give the students a word search made up of their names near the end of the day, and leave LOTS of time to get ready to go home since they still need to learn your procedures. Always over- plan for the first few weeks until you learn how long it will take your students to do things.
    I give homework every night but Fridays (and not during the first week of school). I give spelling and math homework every night and occasionally other homework too. Reading at home is also part of their homework. I usually collect the spelling homework, check it, and send it home that day in case they made any mistakes that they need to see. I go over the math homework with them in case they had any questions. Let me know if you need anything else!

6. Stretch9382

Stretch9382 Rookie

Aug 27, 2007

Thanks LAH2! I think I am starting to feel a little bit better about the first day/week of school. I think I will definitely have some sort of sign-out sheet for the bathroom. Thanks for the book idea also, I always love hearing about and reading new books! I would love to hear any more suggestions you might have or any other activities you have found to work well for your studets.