New teacher needs help!!!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Elcsmith, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Mar 4, 2007

I just took a teaching job for second grade. I was supposed to start next week and they just told me they want me to start Tuesday. They've set up a meet the teacher meeting with all of the parents for the end of the week. I'll have to address everyone and I'm not sure what they want to hear. Any ideas? I would love some help with this one!!

Also how should I treat my first day there?
    I know I need to set procedures and things just like the regular first days of school but the students need to stay on task too. How do I balance the learning with the getting to know you stage?

3. kteelou

kteelou Rookie

Mar 4, 2007

As far as the Meet the Teacher goes, I would mainly focus on introducing yourself. Most likely they had one of these at the beginning of the year and were told about the curriculum and things like that. I would tell them about yourself and also any kinds of changes you might be making to the classroom.

On your first day, I would go on and set your rules/procedures and just use it as a day to get to know the students and let them get to know you. One day out of the ordinary really won't hurt the kids that much and it will allow you to get most of your things set in place. Good luck with everything and just be sure to let the kids know what you are going to expect from them, especially if it is different from what the previous teacher expected. Good luck!

4. teachkids

teachkids Rookie

Mar 4, 2007

Congratulations!!! I agree, introduce yourself and some of your procedures. As far as the class goes, this is the first day for all you. Set up procedures and review class rules. Just get to know them and have fun, I loved second grade.

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Mar 4, 2007

Here are some ideas:
    In a bag put some pictures and things about you. A picture of your
    A penny for always listening to my thoughts, an elastic band for your arms stretching around me to give me a hug, a chocolate kiss for the obvious, a peanut for all the times we are “Nutty” and have fun together, a piece of juicy fruit gum because we stick together no matter what, dice for all the games we play together, a band-aid because you always make me feel better, a lifesaver because, a tooth pick because you always pick out my good points.
    *****wrap a variety of different packages of candy, number them, then try to guess which candy belongs to which number.
    *have everyone write something about themselves that no one else knows, then try to guess who belongs to which event
    K, first, second, third, and fourth grade have name tag tri-pods on the
    upper corner of their desks. First name is printed on the front and
    back and taped to the desk standing up on the desk. They are three
    inches high and about 9 inches long. These are wonderful for the first
    few weeks of school and when you rearrange desk. Also great for the sub
    teachers (we call them guest teachers) helpers, Paras and etc. Good
    everyone can call all the students by name and good self-esteem booster.
    Students are to leave them on their desk all year. Also makes passing
    out papers easier.
    I use my triple hole punch lots, scissors—large pair that fit your hand, sticky notes, slid loc baggies, dry erase markers, Ink pad and stamp = Property of your name. Mark your name on everything you buy, if you move to a different room or different district you know what you bought with your money and so does everybody else. Stickers are cheapest at the dollar stores, just keep looking at different times. Sewing kit for a dollar (thread and needle), some safety pins.
    Make a file folder for each student, document lessons not turned in, Keep ALL notes from home and copy of your reply, copy of e-mails. When a student is punished for whatever reason (talking and misses 2 minutes of recess time ---have student write down why they were punished and how --put in the file folder. Also keep the original copy of spelling test --send a copy home. Can’t erase and change) This will save you problems. Have parents fill out an informational sheet for you. Keep in the students file folders. “Please help me get to know your child” http://teachers.net/mentors/primary...4.05.20.08.html Is a copy of a form. I would add child’s birthday. Who to call if parents can’t be reached.
    These ideas have all been shared with me. I don’t take credit for any of the ideas. I love them all and hope they help you get started on the best year ever.
    Partners
    I dreamed I stood in a studio
    And watched two sculptors there.
    The clay they used was a child’s mind
    And they fashioned it with care.
    One was the teacher; the tools used
    Were books and music and art
    One, a parent with guiding hands,
    A gentle and loving heart.
    Day after day the teacher toiled
    With a touch both deft and skilled.
    The parent labored side by side
    And all the values filled.
    And when at last their task was done
    They looked at what they’d wrought
    The beautiful shape of the precious child
    Could neither be sold or bought.
    And each agreed it would have failed
    If one had worked alone.
    For behind the parent stood the school,
    And behind the teacher, the home.
    You are your child’s first and best teacher. My goal is to build a partnership with you this__________grade year and together we will continue to help your child grow and develop in all the important areas in their lives. Socially, Emotionally, Physically and Intellectually….
    Print on thick paper. Personalize with student’s name and give at the end of the year.
    Dear_____________, You’re a very special person
    And__________________, you should know how I loved to be your teacher And how fast the year did go!
    We did a lot of special things- We learned, we laughed, we cared I always will remember you And all the fun we shared.
    Please come back to visit me As through the grades you grow, Try hard to learn all that you can There is so much to know!
    The one thing I tried to teach you, To last your whole life through Is to know that you are special Just because, ________________, you are you!
    http://www.geocities.com/smilecdg/endoftheyearpoem.html
    Read First Day Jitters by Julie Dannenbu

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 4, 2007

Play a few simple games that first week to break the ice and get a sense of the kids and their capabilities. Around the World played with flashcards is one, do some easy Mad Libs, 20 questions, etc.

Write a letter about yourself and make a copy for each student. Have them write letters back to you about themselves. They won't know you are checking for skills.

Have the kids get in groups to summarize what they have learned and what they are working on in each subject area. Each group can make a poster and present it to the class.

Read aloud every day starting with the very first day. Congratulations and good luck.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2007

No ideas here-- I'm secondary.

But congratulations and the best of luck!

8. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Mar 5, 2007

Thanks for all the awesome ideas. I plan on using several! I'll keep you posted on how things turn out. I'll be going in the first couple of days and working side by side with the current teacher. That makes things a little more relaxing!