New teacher needing advice & the chance to vent

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by msmpgt, Aug 26, 2015.

1. msmpgt

msmpgt New Member

Aug 26, 2015

Edited! A good night's sleep has shown me what I could've done better and what I did right; thank you for all the feedback!

3. smile3

smile3 Rookie

Aug 27, 2015

is this your first year- if so the first year is very difficult and the best learning experience you can have. All know it is difficult and a struggle- thats why so many teachers leave the profession in the first 3 years. You will learn from your kids as well as yourself. For 5th Grade you will be reviewing behavior expectations for at least a few weeks in the start of the school year- the kids were just off for 8-9 weeks and come into school with out any structure for that time period...

You used the word punish.. if a child acts out you need to figure out the function of their behavior (attention, sensory, tangible, escape) you don't want to respond in a way to increase their behavior

for example if you are yelling at a student and the student has friends in the room- the student may love you are yelling at them because all attention is on them and their friends can watch

long post but i hope i answered some questions!

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 27, 2015

Just wanted to share in case it helps! When I was student teaching, my cooperating teacher gave me the Love & Logic book as a gift at the end and told me it saved her teaching career. I read through some of it and really liked it. :) This summer my principal gave us new copies of it and we're going to have discussions about how to incorporate it into our school system. Rereading it after 7 full years of teaching makes me appreciate it even more.

Here's their web-site for more information: https://www.loveandlogic.com/

Don't know if it will help in your situation (whatever that may be) but I thought I would pass it along :)