New teacher, need major help!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by reinaj91, Jul 31, 2017.

1. reinaj91

reinaj91 Rookie

Jul 31, 2017

So here's my story. I started working at a daycare center last May and all i did was fill in for whoever called out, a sub/floater if you will. Then last August I was put in the 3 year old room with two other teachers, we had an interesting schedule. I would work three days a weeks with the lead teacher and the other girl would work two days with her. Then I got bumped back to just being an afternoon/evening teacher in that room. That meant coming to work at lunch time or after nap time, you know after they have done all the activities and educational stuff. Then I started filling in for others again. I just recently became the lead teacher in the 3 year old room and today was my first day leading. I'm excited but I'm nervous at the same time. I haven't had to write a lesson plan in over a year, which is nerve racking, and the children know me but they don't really listen to me. I was pretty much just thrown into this position because I've worked in that room for a long time and I know the schedule. I'm struggling on writing out the lesson plan because I don"t know what activity we're doing until I ask another teacher, I just know the theme of the week. I may be overthinking this but i need some help and support!!

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 31, 2017

It sounds like they might simply be recycling old plans. Who is the person who is telling you the activity? Maybe start there and ask them if plans already exist, if you should be planning future lessons around the theme, etc.

4. MichelleH

MichelleH Rookie

Aug 3, 2017

Take a deep breath. You know more than you think you know. You've been in this room since last August and, though you haven't been in charge, you've picked up a lot of knowledge about what happens in that room. SO...relax and think about what you saw and what you did.

Things will get better every day, and as you gain confidence (and, even better, SHOW confidence even when you don't have it) those 3 year olds will know that you're in charge. They will listen to you--as much as a 3 year old listens to anyone--as you guide them with your confident, calm and compassionate demeanor.

You can do this!!

MissScrimmage and AlwaysAttend like this.
  5. reinaj91

reinaj91 Rookie

Aug 10, 2017

I tried that but it doesn't help. These children are child flat out terrorizers. I've volunteered in other daycare centers for school and I was a babysitter for 6 years. and I hate to say it but these children are the worst group of children I have ever encountered.

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 10, 2017

If they haven't been managed properly to start, it won't get better overnight.

7. reinaj91

reinaj91 Rookie

Aug 17, 2017

Update: new school year started yesterday and this group is way worse than the last and I've already had a child get hurt. Thinking about putting in my two weeks notice as this job is not helping my anxiety.