New teacher, need major help!!!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by reinaj91, Jul 31, 2017.

1. reinaj91

reinaj91 Rookie

Jul 31, 2017

So here's my story. I started working at a daycare center last May and all i did was fill in for whoever called out, a sub/floater if you will. Then last August I was put in the 3 year old room with two other teachers, we had an interesting schedule. I would work three days a weeks with the lead teacher and the other girl would work two days with her. Then I got bumped back to just being an afternoon/evening teacher in that room. That meant coming to work at lunch time or after nap time, you know after they have done all the activities and educational stuff. Then I started filling in for others again. I just recently became the lead teacher in the 3 year old room and today was my first day leading. I'm excited but I'm nervous at the same time. I haven't had to write a lesson plan in over a year, which is nerve racking, and the children know me but they don't really listen to me. I was pretty much just thrown into this position because I've worked in that room for a long time and I know the schedule. I'm struggling on writing out the lesson plan because I don"t know what activity we're doing until I ask another teacher, I just know the theme of the week. I may be overthinking this but i need some help and support!!

3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jul 31, 2017

Congrats on the new position! I teach public preschool, so my experience is a little different. However, I wouldn't really worry about a "theme" for the next few weeks. I would focus more on getting to know the children, working on routines/procedures and setting the expecatations. You won't be able to teach anything from a lesson plan if they aren't listening to you.

If you're required to do the same theme/activities as other teachers, then I would keep it simple and focus on a book matching the theme and a matching activity. Still, I would use large group as a time to practice what listening looks like on the carpet, how classroom materials are used, etc..

4. reinaj91

reinaj91 Rookie

Jul 31, 2017

Thank you! I definitely want to focus more on the educational material and learning but these children just want to play all the time. I feel like a broken record repeating the same thing all day. Oh and to make matters worse, today some of the children in my room told me I was a bad teacher then they turned it around and said I was a good teacher. Like thanks, that really helps :(.