New Teacher-Need Advice!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by jersey, Jul 30, 2007.

1. jersey

jersey New Member

Jul 30, 2007

hi! this will be my first year teaching...i am starting a 1st grade maternity leave in october. since i will be stepping in for someone after the first few weeks of school i'm not sure what to expect.
    i'm really nervous! i student taught in 3rd grade which is very different and that was 2 years ago!!
    any ideas? experience with this? thanks!!!

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2007

I really hope you get a chance to meet with the teacher that you will be taking over for. Can you go in and work with her for a few days before she leaves? We do that in our building and it sure makes things easier.

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2007

Is there anyway the teacher you're filling in for will allow you to visit her classroom to see how her rules and routines flow? It will make the transition that much easier for you, the teacher, and the students if they know you already and you know about them and how the class runs. I would suggest going in a couple of times in September to start to make the transition.

5. jersey

jersey New Member

Jul 30, 2007

i am scheduled to go in for a week with her before she leaves, but i feel like i should be doing more- i have all of this time that i could be preparing, but i don't know what i need.

6. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Jul 30, 2007

Ask now, for a schedule of what they teach when. I know my mentor teacher and her peers had it broken down by week, what they were teaching in math that week, as well as science/ss. Find out what will be coming up in Oct. and start planning that.

7. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 30, 2007

Are you filling in for the rest of the year or for a few weeks? I would also say that it would be a good idea to visit the classroom before hand so you can see how the rules and procedures work and what to expect. This will also give you a chance to meet the kids and begin to feel comfortable with each other. Have you asked the teacher what she needs to have you do? Talk to the other teachers in that grade level and find out what they do during October and so on.