New Teacher - Move up Day

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by BruinsFan63, Jun 10, 2012.

1. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

Jun 10, 2012

Hello all!

I recently got a 2nd grade position and was asked to come to Move Up Day this week. I'm excited/nervous. I will be going into another teachers room, so I can't really give them a tour, or have them find the important parts of the room. I also don't know the EXACT curriculum so question and answer would be difficult.

What does everyone here do? I was thinking about starting with talking about myself, having students say their names and something about themselves, playing a quick game, then maybe a book.

I don't know what to do for the name game or the quick game though. Ideas?:dizzy:

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 10, 2012

Here's something I used to do with my new 2nd graders (when I taught 2nd grade) -- Teach them to sing the first verse of "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean." Then, after they've done that, sing it again, only whenever they hear the "b" sound, they have to stand up if they are sitting down, or sit down if they are standing up. They will be bobbing all over the place, and loving every second of it.

Have everyone start sitting down. You do it with them (though usually they are sitting on the floor and you are sitting on a chair, which makes it easier to lead.) It is a lot of fun, just don't let them get so silly that they are trilpping over each other.

"My Bonnie lies over the ocean
    My Bonnie lies over the sea
    My Bonnie lies over the ocean
    Oh bring back my Bonnie to me!

Bring back...
    Bring back...
    Oh bring back my Bonnie to me, to me.

Bring back...
    Bring back...
    Oh bring back my Bonnie to me, to me.