New Teacher Mentor

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kellzy, Jun 6, 2019.

1. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Jun 6, 2019

Not a question but just a thought. I was just hired as one of my school's new teacher mentors for next year. When in the world did I become experienced enough to mentor green teachers?!?!!?!?!?!

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 6, 2019

In Ohio mentors have to attend a mandatory 2 or 3 day training.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 6, 2019

My state doesn’t have a requirement for mentors, but my district does. Mentors have to be tenured, which means having worked for the district for at least four years and having at least five total years of teaching experience. Even experienced teachers cannot serve as mentors if they are relatively new to the district and still under the probationary period. At least they cannot serve as formal mentors... Those with experience at other districts act as informal mentors often, regardless of how long they’ve been in the current district. I’ve only had three years in my current district, but I just finished nine years of teaching. I absolutely served as a mentor to my first year, fresh out of undergrad teacher partner this past year, despite not being his official mentor. His official mentor was our literary coach because she has been in the district for 8-9 years, but there was a lot that she simply could not help him with because she isn’t in the classroom currently.

How many years have you been teaching?

5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 6, 2019

Isn't it nice to realize you've made that switch from newbie to experienced teacher!

I also was a mentor last year, but my school does not pay extra for it.