New Teacher-Many questions

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by ZoeMarie, Aug 15, 2016.

1. ZoeMarie

ZoeMarie Rookie

Aug 15, 2016

I was offered and accepted an integrated (inclusion) preschool teaching position. The board won't approve my hire until next Monday. Then it's 3 quick weeks to school filled with new teacher orientation and professional development days. When is the right time to ask for:
    curriculum/pacing guides
    to get into my classroom to start setting up
    what my classroom budget is
    when I should connect with my instructional assistant (they may need to hire someone I'm not entirely sure)
    when do I get a class list? IFSP/IEP information?

At this point I haven't signed a contract. I met with the superintendent and started filling out HR stuff but I'm not even sure of my salary (although I've seen the salary guide available online). I don't want to seem rude or over eager to know about budget/salary stuff. My priority is setting up the classroom, meeting other teachers, and getting my hands on curriculum and pacing guides. How can I bring these topics up to the principal at the right time and in the right way?

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2016

I'd get in touch, via e-mail or phone, about how / when you can access your classroom, and also see what the usual time line is for getting the curriculum (if it isn't already immediately available). When talking to him/her, I'm sure you can also quickly pose the question of how much is usually provided from the PTSA/school/district. While he/she may not be able to give you exacts, it could help you frame the idea of how much you want to spend before school starts. With both the curriculum or funds, you can probably also get in touch with other teachers there if you happen to know any or see any, as they can probably give you a heads-up on those just as easily.

Class lists and IEP information, while often determined at the end of the previous year, is best to wait until the week before (teacher workdays leading up to school starting), as the class lists often are still in a high state of flux, and those teacher days will often have a time to discuss the IEPs with the appropriate parties.

For the instructional assistant, I'd also suggest waiting until the teacher days back. First, they are often hourly instead of salaried, and secondly, as you said, you're not even sure if they've hired them, nor if there would be changes last minute that might mean someone who you think will be an IA ends up not being one.

Focus on setting up the classroom and preparing the initial week or two first and foremost.

Good luck!

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 15, 2016

ZoeMarie, your threads have been merged, to conform to A to Z forum policy that strongly discourages multiple threads on the same topic at the same time by the same member. The site owner's rationale is that spreading the discussion around tends to dilute it. I think she's right.

Let me add that you're not in trouble, and that you shouldn't lose much if any readership: veterans of A to Z tend not to go forum by forum when looking for new posts. Instead, we click on one of the Recent Posts links at the top of the page to bring up a list of all the new posts since the last time we checked in.

Hope you get lots more good advice!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2016

How did you accept without knowing the salary?

6. ZoeMarie

ZoeMarie Rookie

Aug 17, 2016

Their salary guide is online so I know what i'll be getting but there was no formal conversation. When I was offered the position I was told it would be discussed with the superintendent but when I went to that meeting it was more of an interview for him to get to know me before he recommended me to the board. I've never had to discuss salary and wasn't sure when the right time to bring it up was. I thought they would just tell me.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2016

There is usually a little bit of negotiation room for veteran teachers and sometimes for those with just a year or two of experience. Even if you're new and have an expectation based on the salary guide, it's worth asking before accepting. IMO, it was negligent of the Supe to not include the salary info as part of making you the offer.

8. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 17, 2016

Agreed, but this was my experience in the past. HR called me later in the day to offer the position and told me my salary. I was happy with what I was offered so I didn't negotiate. I really didn't know that was an option either...

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2016

The OP has already started HR paperwork and still doesn't know her salary. I honestly wouldn't be able to be making informed decisions about healthcare and investment options (those were part of my district's HR paperwork) without knowing what I was getting paid.

10. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2016

In my district, the salary is set based on years teaching and degrees held. If you are unsure about the salary you are going to receive, I would think that would be a discussion to have with HR, not with the principal. It shouldn't be wrong to ask.