New teacher looking for advice

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by coachhill05, Jun 18, 2007.

1. coachhill05

coachhill05 New Member

Jun 18, 2007

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and wanted some advice from everyone. I am going to be a new teacher this upcoming school year and wanted some advice on lesson planning, classroom management, etc. I have completed a teacher certification program but nothing can simulate actually being the teacher in a classroom. I would appreciate any advice or help. I will be teaching either History or Government at the high school level, as well as coaching Junior high and some high school. Thanks!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2007

HI and welcome!!!

You're going to love teaching HS. I'm finishing up year #21 and still love it, most days anyway!

Since your question is pretty general, you may want to go back to the Secondary Ed forum and just start scrolling through any threads that sound interesting. Make notes as you go, and feel free to add questions... either in the thread you're reading or in a brand new thread.

This may get you started: http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=31782&highlight=bee

4. dj1448

dj1448 New Member

Jul 14, 2007

Advice

I am just finishing my second year as a teacher and have learned many valuable lessons. The most important aspect of teaching you want to concern yourself with is classroom management skills. All the lesson plans and preparation time will not be useful unless you have the proper classroom setting. There are many strategies you pick up as you go along but I would suggest talking with and observing colleagues or taking some seminars specifically on this topic to pick up tactics before starting. Creating an atmosphere that is respectful and comfortable is difficult but essential for success.

5. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

Plan, plan, plan...

1. Start the students working on day one. Have your warm up or bell ringer in place and ready for the students to copy and answer. Go over your procedures - how you want to handle sharpening of pencils, supplies (give them a list either on the board for them to copy or a run off of the list); seating - where and/or how do you want them to sit. I've found that alphabetical works best to start the year. This makes it easy for me to put names & faces together. Bathroom and/or locker -give them your policy on leaving the classroom (no is a good word here). Have a short easy homework assignment - you mean business and this helps them get in the mode. Many of my students tell me that I'm the only one they have homework from - so what? I use a notebook and the first assignment is to do an author page - their name - first & last, my name, class & period, date. On the same page they tell me 7 (I teach 7th grade) things (positive only) about themselves.
    2. If you use a notebook tell them how you want it set up and model this for them. Don't assume that ___ grade knows how you want it done.
    3. Areas of the room - student areas, teacher only areas. I provide 3 hole punch for my students to use & color pencils/crayons (6 boxes and they are shared for those that don't have their own)...these are in the student area and not on my desk; they have a stapler that they can use & not the one on my desk; don't put out tape for them because they will play with it or waste it.
    4. procedures - how you want things turned in and where; where to look for returned assignments; how you want their papers headed; how you want papers completed...complete sentences; when & how often they can expect to be tested; when are notebooks due; behavior expectations & how they will be handled.
    5. Rules - post them and go over them...have the students write the rules in their notebook
    6. Plan the first week or more if needed on going over procedures, rules, expectations and have a small assignment for them each day. This is a good time to go over school & district policies on things like homework, cell phones, etc. Know and expect them to know the student handbook - saves lots of time later.
    7. Plan, plan, plan...always have a bell ringer, something for them to do when entering the class; don't try to be their friend - you are their teacher. Practice the coaching model - explain, practice, drill, discuss...it works in the classroom just like on the court/field.
    8. Enjoy the year and they will too!

6. LadyBard

LadyBard Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

I'll be teaching H.S. for the first this year as well, although I'm not a new teacher. I'll be teaching Freshman or Sophmores. I think the best way to keep your classroom under control is to keep your students engaged. If they are bored, it will be harder to control them.

There will always be a few who won't want to do the work, but if everyone else is on task, you'll only have to manage the ones who
    aren't.

Going over and posting rules and expectations is also important, but
    keeping the kids interested keeps their minds off making mischief for you !!

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck this year. Let us know how it goes.

7. Mr. D.

Mr. D. Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

I try not to bombard them too much with routines and procedures on the first day because I find after the first 20 min. they start to zone. So I give it to them in small doses. I will explain the essential items (bathroom pass, rules, etc...) first but then have hands on activities that get them to move around and talk before I go into further discussions over the schedule, daily routine etc...

8. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

Hey there! Where in Texas are you from?

Have you established your rules and how you plan to enforce them? This will be important for classroom management. You need to have a clear cut image of how you want your class to run and what you will do to make sure it runs that way.
    Do you know how to write objectives?
    As far as lesson planning, always refer to the TEKS to make sure you are heading in the right direction with your planning.