New Teacher looking for advice for Algebra 2 and Precalc textbooks

Discussion in 'High School' started by Hector.Arias, May 1, 2017.

1. Hector.Arias

Hector.Arias Rookie

May 1, 2017

Hi everyone I am new to this forum and I am graduating in a couple weeks with my B.S. in Physics. I have always wanted to teach and have been working with high school students for 8 years and just recently got hired to be a High School Teacher at a local startup charter school. The reason I am posting this thread is because I am asking any experience Math Teachers if they have any suggestions on some good Algebra 2 and Precalculus textbooks.

Currently the two books I have in mind are:
    McDougal Littell Algebra 2: Applications, Equations, Graphs

Precalculus with Limits by Larson 2nd Edition

I would just like some feedback on maybe some books teachers found very successful with their students. I personally picked these two books just because in my years these are the two best books that I have personally experienced and have had the greatest feedback from students who I have tutored.

I look forward to posting more on this forum and meeting alot of great and amazing teachers!

-Hector

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

May 1, 2017

Very popular now is CPM, but it doesn't have much language learner support. What textbooks are the Algebra and Geometry teacher using? Consistency could be a good thing.

4. Hector.Arias

Hector.Arias Rookie

May 2, 2017

I appreciate your feedback. From my experience I have strongly disliked CPM and so have all my students and parents as well. In my opinion it truly lacks the proper examples and honestly I am not a believer of common core. I just got hired last week so I am not 100% certain of the textbooks they have used hoping to find out what they have used in order to figure out what is best for me. Just wanting to see what textbooks people have really liked.