New teacher internship

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by excitedteacher, May 5, 2009.

1. excitedteacher

excitedteacher Rookie

May 5, 2009

I'm currently going through the post bacc alternative certification program and I'm at the point where I can apply for a teaching position but as an intern. Does anyone recommand any helpful tips for new teachers on the actual applying process and starting out. I hoping to teach special education in a self contained setting. Thanks for any input. =)

3. LuvKinder

LuvKinder Rookie

May 8, 2009

How long will you be interning? My experience is that you interview with the district and then they set you up in a school that they think will benefit from you being there. I would look into districts that you potentially would like to teach in. Usually if you do well the school that you interned in will offer you a position since they know your work ethic, dedication, etc.

4. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

May 9, 2009

excitedteacher, did you go through LETU? If so, that's where I went, and I'm trying for an Internship. Basically I was told that I was on my own to find a job, but they'd set me up with a supervisor once I signed a contract. It lasts for one school year.

As far as tips go....start applying right away! Since you want to be Sp. Ed. certified, I feel you won't have much of a problem getting a job.

5. excitedteacher

excitedteacher Rookie

May 20, 2009

Thank you so much for the replies. I've been told by many to start applying now. Although I'm lacking the EC-4 Generalist content exam. I take it on June 2. Do you suggest I go ahead and apply? We were told the same thing. I am going through West Texas A&M University. I am currently in Houston but I've decided to apply in Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth and the Amarillo area. Have you taken the PPR yet?

6. excitedteacher

excitedteacher Rookie

May 20, 2009

My internship will be two semesters a complete year. Thank you so much for your input its been helpful. I'm very anxious and excited=)