New Teacher - How to Spend Classroom Budget

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Rachel2789, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Rachel2789

Rachel2789 New Member

Jul 3, 2016

Hello all!

So I am starting my first teaching job (2nd Grade) in the fall and I just got my budget for my classroom. I am so excited, but not really sure how to best prepare.

I have $300 to spend and I have to go through School Specialty. I haven't seen my classroom yet and I'm not going to be able to before I place my order, which is due by July 8th. My principal sent an email stating that no supplies except for copy paper will be provided.

I have no idea what is in my classroom, but I want to make sure I make the most of my budget. Some have suggested focusing on consumables since I can't take them with me if/when I leave.

Any advice would be appreciated!

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2016

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 3, 2016

Chart paper
    Markers for chart paper
    Construction paper
    Scotch masking tape (the cheap stuff is worthless)
    Stapler
    Staples
    Tape
    Sharpies

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 3, 2016

Thick masking tape.

I would hold off buying pencils, notebook paper, and crayons, because they may be on the student supply list. Some schools have them, some don't.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 3, 2016

I looked through the School Specialty catalog, and their stuff is soooo expensive! 29.99 for an alphabet poster to go above the black board.
    You will need that, but first need to find out if your school uses D'nealian, ZanzerBlouser or such.

Calendar
    Alphabet Chart for above the white board (or chalkboard, or smart board, or whatever.)
    Name tags for the desks
    Chart paper for your rules
    Chart markers to make your charts
    Post 'em Notes
    Stapler & Staples
    Paper Clips
    Teachers EZ Grader for scoring papers
    Adult scissors
    Thick masking tape
    Clear pushpins
    (Most schools have big rolls of bulletin board paper for all teacher's to use, but if not, you'll need some bulletin board paper)
    Bulletin board borders
    Yardstick/Meterstick (can be used for measruing in math, as a pointer, and to cut things out for the bulletin boards.)
    Door decorations (you can make these)
    Book baskets

Those are just the things I can think of from when I taught 2nd grade.

Hope it helps.

-Rain

PS -- I wish you were in NC. I have so much stuff I would be glad to share with someone new to the profession -- lots of it 2nd and 3rd grade.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 4, 2016

Definitely use your school money for your consumables. Yes, you'll spend your money for other things, but they can go with you to your next school or classroom. If you buy consumables and the school buys the other resources, you'll have nothing to take with you when you move rooms.

8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2016

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  9. Alonzo

Alonzo Rookie

Jul 6, 2016

Being that your are working with a younger group of students and it's on the company's dime, I would use my budget on consumables. Your class will use up every bit of it. As Teachintexas said, you can use your money on stuff you can keep for the years to come. I typically buy tons of tissue, sanitizer, loose leaf paper/construction paper for my class. And glue sticks, oh lord the glue sticks! I have heard of some teachers having success with teaching the student to use droplets of glue but not me. Yes, your student will have a supply list but I promise what you actually receive from them it is never enough. Use your money on things that you want personally like an electric pencil sharpener, desk chair, or rug. Make your classroom comfortable for you and your students

10. alisapugefuxi

alisapugefuxi New Member

Jan 21, 2019

Hello
    As for me teachers and parents of children who are studying at this class have to organize budget! They must give money for buying some services from PapersOwl by students! Students like buying such services because they can buy assignments from this site and then obligations to do it by independently disappears!

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2019

An alternative to butcher paper is cheap gift wrap from the dollar store. Before I had blinds for the windows in my classroom that looked out on the hallway, I used that to eliminate that distraction.