New teacher here

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Mrs.Giggles, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jun 2, 2013

Hello! I am new to this board, and I am a brand new second grade teacher for the 2013-2014 school year. I cannot wait to get my hands dirty, but I am nervous at the same time. It's interesting to me that this moment is what I have worked so hard for, and now that it is here, I'm freaking out. I just want to be the best teacher that I possibly can be, and that's a lot of pressure.

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2013

Welcome! I remember that feeling, and am going through it again myself as I prepare to move back into a traditional classroom after three years of teaching online. It's good to feel excited and nervous at the same time since that shows that you care and will do your very best. Just remember to go easy on yourself -- your first year will be challenging and overwhelming at times and that is totally normal, we all went through it! :hugs:

4. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2013

kmb, congrats & the first year jitters and excitement are normal. Just remember that you are going to make mistakes. We all do & that's ok. Reflect on your lessons, keep what worked & toss what didn't. Each year will get better & don't put any undue pressures on yourself. Congrats & enjoy your first year.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 3, 2013

I was a brand new teacher this year, in first grade, so I can absolutely relate to your feelings! The learning curve is enormous. There have been days when I've felt like a total imposter. There have been other days when I've felt like I'm FINALLY getting the hang of something...only to discover there are 5 other things coming around the corner that I have to learn how to do/master/get used to. It's been hard and stressful and exhausting. But it's also been fantastic, fun, exhilarating, and deeply rewarding. I wouldn't trade this career for anything. I find so much joy in teaching. I love that every day is a new challenge and I can always be working to figure out how to reach each student. I love that our class has become a family, for better or for worse. :)

You will love it! Have a wonderful summer getting ready for your very first class! :)