New teacher here! Observation next week! ANY TIPS!!!!!

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by MissNewTeach161, Nov 5, 2008.

1. MissNewTeach161

MissNewTeach161 Rookie

Nov 5, 2008

Hi, So yeah first year here teaching and I just got a letter about being observed for the first time next week!!!! I am so nervous! Does anyone have any tips or advice. ?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2008

Put it out of your mind. Don't schedule a test or a quiz, but other than that, behave just as you normally do.

Whoever is observing you is NOT looking for some horse and pony show. He or she is looking to see a typical day in your room. That's what you should show.

4. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Nov 5, 2008

Definitely just plan a regular day. Make it as easy on yourself as possible since although you don't need to, you'll still be stressed out about it. Also, remember that things will go wrong. (Nothing ever works out they way you hope it will, even on days when no one is there watching...) The principal knows that and also expects it. On my first formal observation (I teach SpEd) my one-on-one aide and the SLP that is normally providing services in the room at the scheduled time were both gone. I ended up getting basically nothing done, had to deal with a thousand things I normally wouldn't have to, and on top of all of that, had a student get sick in the middle of class. Now that's an extreme example of how things can go wrong. I'm sure you'll be fine. (Every time I think back on this observation, all I can do is laugh.) But the main point of my example is that my principal understood, laughed with me, and still was able to find the good things that happened in that observation. Don't stress yourself out. Most principals are there not to criticize, but to assist. Try to think of it this way. :)

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2008

The other thing I do anytime I'm being observed is to casually introduce the observer. I think it's just common courtesy. And it eliminates the "subtle" whispering about who the adult in the back of the room is.

For today's observation, it went something like this: "You know how I've mentioned a few times that I've observed Senior classes, and that they're working on Absolute Value too. Today we're being joined by Miss Smith. She teaches those Seniors and is observing our class today."

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 5, 2008

I've been observed several times this year from my mentor, my principal and my ACP mentor.

1. dont do anything totally new that will through your kids off.
    2. if you have things to pass out, pay attention to the way those materials are managed (quickly and smoothly)
    3. remember that the observer's eyes will be on your kids too, they must be engaged.
    4. have objectives posted
    5. correct discipline problems as you normally would remembering that sometimes a minor infraction is not worth interrupting your teaching.