New Teacher Help: Procedures, Syllabus, Grades..

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by giggles9393, Aug 25, 2012.

1. giggles9393

giggles9393 Rookie

Aug 25, 2012

I am a new teacher this year, and will be teaching English for 9th grade and 12th grade. Since I am brand new at this, I am looking for any suggestions! Right now I am most concered with:

What a syllabi should look like/say
    How should I go about grading with points? (how to determine how much a project is worth and such..)
    Procedures for the classroom- (If something is late, heading on a paper, being absent, etc..)
    A good way to organize if a child is out sick for a day, and any other organization tips you may have
    And any good "First Day" activities we should do.

Any suggestions with these would be a GREAT help! Thank you in advance!
    :):)

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2012

I recommend that you check with your department or school to find out their requirements as far as grading, the syllabus, and absent work. My school determines those things for us, and some of it is based on school district policy and state legislation. I would hate for you to spend a lot of time building your own syllabus or grading policy only to discover that you have to use the school's or the department's.

4. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Aug 25, 2012

Welcome to the classroom!
    Since you teach English, you might want to consider having your kids head their papers using the MLA Format, or whichever format you are using for papers.
    I highly recommend the book "The First Days of School" by the Wongs. They talk about so many relevant topics, including organization and set up etc.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 25, 2012

The First Days of School has a page for every procedure you can think of. I wrote down every item on that list and more, and described my procedures for each one. You'll find that you need to teach yourself your procedures just as much as you'll need to teach your students, so it's good to have a record of them.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2012

Keep in mind, your secondary kids have been in school for a number of years already.

Mention your procedures if you want, but don't make too big a deal out of them. Do too much modeling of things like passing up papers, and your class becomes one big punchline.

As you need each new procedure, you can show the kids how you want them to proceed.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2012

giggles, if you want to see my policies and procedures for my senior classes, PM me and I'll email them to you.

8. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 25, 2012

My school asks for a syllabus, but never dictated a way they wanted it. I take a copy of the state standards and next to each strand, I add the activities I have planned that will support that strand. Most of the activities are mentioned in broad terms since I don't have a specific plan in place for each one. So it would include things like: Analyze various types of literature from several sources.

As far as grading with points, unless it is dictated by your school/dept, just make a decision on how many points you think work should earn based on how much effort it will take to complete, complexity of the assignment, etc. Homework can only count for 10% of our overall grade each marking period, so I usually keep those points low - maybe 10. Tests/major projects/writing projects are usually worth 100, quizzes are 30 - 50 depending on whether they are pop quizzes or planned quizzes. Classwork is usually worth 35 points. But that is what I use; someone else may use different amounts.

Procedures are best taught as the need arises. I teach MS, so I give an overview of procedures and tell them that I will discuss each in depth and show how to do them when we encounter them.

The FIrst Days of School is an excellent resource. I also echo the person who said you have to learn them too. I so had to work on that my first year.

Good luck this year; I'm sure everything will fall in place for you.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 26, 2012

All of this is dictated through our district/building/department, so definitely check to make sure you're meeting those requirements if you have them.

I'll send you a copy of my syllabus for English I if you'd like. Just PM me. It's very generic with the TEKS (Texas doesn't use the Common Core) and the units we'll cover, but it has all of my policies (district/building mandated), so you can see an example of those.

I don't teach procedures until they come up. On day one, the only procedure that we'll for sure deal with is how to save their files electronically. It's similar to what heading you want on your papers for those of you in a traditional setting. :) It's a REALLY big deal to me.