New Teacher Burnout

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by KimmyBoo, Nov 2, 2006.

1. KimmyBoo

KimmyBoo Rookie

Nov 2, 2006

Alright. I taught the elements of plot Monday, Tuesday and Wed. I gave examples. We used graphic organizers. I gave a quiz on it today. The definitions were on the board. I gave the answers to them.

My quiz grades? 20s, 30s, 40s. A few 100s. Those were my grades. 100s or Flat Fs.

I'm in a rough neighborhood. The kids are violent and some are just mean mean mean.

I really don't know if I'm cut out for teaching. :-( I want to make a difference... I want to teach them... I want to show them the world.

But they really have to stop talking first. They need to quit throwing their bodies on the floor everytime I say no.

Sigh.

3. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Nov 2, 2006

Don't get discouraged. I teach in the same type of environment. Before you can focus on instructional strategies, double check your classroom management because if one doesn't have a very sound classroom management plan, it's almost impossible to teach. That can take a bit to get under control.

As far as things like plot that is something you're going ot have to continue revisting throughout the year. They're not going to learn it in a matter or 3 days or a week. It's continuous, repeated exposure.

Don't get discouraged. Make sure you have every procedure and routine that you can think of. What are your incentive systems? Many people get frustrated the first year, especially if they teach in a rough environment. I promise you it does get easier and better each year. Is there an outstanding teacher at your school? or at a neighboring school? Pick her mind and ask for help :) Surround yourself with postive people at work and stay away from the negative teachers, the ones who gripe about the kids all the time or the ones that say they are slow or just can't learn on the same level as suburban children.

Trust me, it does get better. I can attest to that.

4. KimmyBoo

KimmyBoo Rookie

Nov 2, 2006

thanks!

I needed to hear that. Really.

I plan on reteaching all the skills throughout the year... today was just a rough day. As for management goes, you are right. Problem is, we are departmentalized and we are not consistent as a team. This is something I will bring up at the next meeting. The kids change classes every hour.

I am doing some reading on Ron Clark's theories and I'm getting ideas. The kids need consistency.... and it'll get there. Wow, what an environment for my first year!

As for me.... I need to work on controlling my patience and remind myself everyday why I am there.

Thanks again for the encouragement! It is appreciated!

5. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Nov 2, 2006

All I have to say is, I admire you!!! 4th grade with the writing TAKS is a tough grade to teach, expecially if you are in a rough area!!! Good luck to you, I hope things improve!

6. Channe24

Channe24 New Member

Nov 3, 2006

We must be in the same district...

My class is full of inconsiderate, rude children. They will not follow directions. They will not work. I have 2 or 3 catalysts that start the problems. The rest of the class just follows in line. On days that 1 or 2 of the problems are absent, we get things done and have a wonderful day.

For the most part, I just can't understand how children could get this far and be this disrespectful to everyone! I have implemented procedures for everything possible, but besides tying them up and gagging them (j/k), they just won't follow any direction.

I don't have any advice, but I do sympathize.

7. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Nov 4, 2006

Possibly the grade level is not the right fit for you? Sometimes it really makes a difference. You might consider a change for next year.

8. KimmyBoo

KimmyBoo Rookie

Nov 4, 2006

nope i'm good.

9. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Nov 5, 2006

The concept of school is "higher society" only the rich could afford it back in the day. Today the govenment says "all kids have to be in school".

School is very different to these kids' home lives. You have to assume that teaching plot to the entire class might mean to know your students, and know which of gardner's intelligences they are.

You might have 20s, 30s and 40s because these kids might not have had breakfast, might be homeless next week, or might have a family member in a gang. That are concentrating on what is going to happen at home that night.

Dont teach them the world right now, help them get out of their worlds.

You cant expect aggressive students to get A+'s on their homework. modify the things that they learn. Ask them what they want to learn, and relate it to the curriculum. This will have the students more focused in intrinsic motivation to do better in school.

Teach community in your classroom, have a closure at the end of the day, to say you are proud of them for what they have learned today.

Not all of your kids will do well, and the sad part is, because of their home lives some might not even finish high school. That's why it is important to teach them how to better their lives, and gain skills to get a job and support themselves.

Talk with the parents and keep the communication open. If you have a great week, call each parent and congratulate their child's success. I guarantee that if a child does really well in something and you make a phone call home to the parents with the child right there beside you when you do it, they will have a smile and good feelings about their behavior.

All parents want their children to be the best they can be, IF you talk with them and say I want to show your children the world, but first We need to work together to make "bobby" or "susie" the best student in grade x at (xyz) School.

Parents will love you for your dedication to their child, because if you say to a parent which would you rather have: A teacher that is average, or a teacher that goes beyond? the parents would choose...

Mr. Skinner :D

10. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Nov 5, 2006

Also,

include because extensions.

examples:
    Bobby you cant punch Susie, because...
    Melanie we cant run in the hall, because...
    Frankie you need to remember you pencil, because...
    Carla we dont use those words in our classroom, because...

this way the kids know that you are on their side and if you say no and they roll on the floor, its because that's what they get away with at home. thats all they know when someone says "no". It's a programmed instinctual response that when they hear the word "no" from an adult they act crazy.

You need to tell them why you said "no"

no more floor drama.

11. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Nov 5, 2006

It will get better

I know where you are coming from. I am a student block teacher and I sub on the side till i get my degree in May. I had a child call me a A hole he is in 6th grade. That happened on a Friday and I sulked about it all weekend. I also thought about giving up. But, when Monday rolled around it was better. You have bad days and good days. I was about to give up but, the more I thought about it the more i want to teach them. I feel better that I have encountered some problems with kids but you know it only makes you stronger and more determined to teach them. Do not give up and hold your head high and do what you have dreamed of. Teach to your heart is content.

Michelle

12. MrsMath

MrsMath Rookie

Nov 5, 2006

I am in the same boat as the original poster of this topic. Is this really feasible if you have a departmentalized classroom of 95 students!!! Especially where there isn't any parent involvement required by the school. I don't mean to sound ugly but honestly I have attempted this and there is no support from the families or administration to give you the time to do this. As for the original poster, I wish I had an answer for you but I feel the same way. I wish you the best!

13. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Nov 5, 2006

Read Ron Clarks Essential 55. I have taught lower grades for 12 years and am trying to transfer to middle school. Brave me right. Ron Clark is a great help and motivator. I am now reading another one of his books.

14. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Nov 6, 2006

Hi MrsMAth,

Sorry to hear about your school's admin and parents not having involvement. Hmmm, trying to think of somthing to help.

I guess start with one kid at a time. I've helped a kid in a gang break free by coming to the computer room at the boys and girls club. He told me that I was the only guy he has met that doesn't swear, and treats him like an adult.

I bet it can feel overwhemling if you have 95 students, some of which are causing you stress, and you have no time to make calls home. I've never been in that situation yet, but I would try to help the kids help themselves. Breakfast works wonders for the homeless kids. Giving them a morning kit where they can duck into the bathroom and clean themselves up (body odor, washing face, hair teeth, etc.) can boost their self esteem, and give them a hand up when they dont have one from their parents.

I'm also in Canada, in a fairly small city without chronic major problems, but I did grow up in Toronto, Population 2.8 million. in a neighborhood with guns, homeless people, and kidnapping.