New Teacher Binders...?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissWull, Feb 27, 2008.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Feb 27, 2008

I'm only really familiar with one district in my area. When new teachers are hired they give them a huge binder that compiles everything a 1st year teacher could possibly need/want/ask for. I was wondering...do all districts do this?

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Feb 27, 2008

We compiled something like that in our district as part of the mentoring program. Along with a guided timeline for workshops, observations, meetings with mentors, etc.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2008

We have a flash drive with all pertinent info on it...:D

5. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Feb 27, 2008

I wish I had this for my first year this year. I was so mad I wanted to make one myself.

6. Amers

Amers Cohort

Feb 27, 2008

No! I've spent more time being frustrated trying to hunt things down and figure out where certain resources are than I can count. I would have loved to have a binder with everything in one place.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2008

I've never gotten anything like this in either district I've worked at. It would be an awesome resource though and something I think all districts should do.

8. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2008

I want one!

I don't work directly for the district, though -- maybe there is one for people directly involved. I was hired privately.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2008

I didn't have one either but I think all schools should do that, or at least a digital version of it. I did my Master's thesis on teacher retention and orientation, and I developed one for my school. (a digital one)

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2008

I didn't even get a school handbook or teacher's handbook. I guess I'm just supposed to ask everyone. I never know about anything. Like when we had parent teacher conferences-I didn't know we could take a 1.5-2 hour lunch. So I scheduled all of my conferences straight through with only a 15 minute lunch. Then everyone else went out to lunch!! Thanks for telling me!

11. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Feb 28, 2008

Wow. I would have thought more districts would do something like that. The district that does it is the one I want to work in, although there aren't many if any openings this year...so I guess it's a good thing I photocopied most of it from my master teacher I had this year! It does make things really convenient and it is HUGE. It's like a 5" binder...or it seems that big. It has everything from what to expect and how to prepare before schools starts, during the first day/week/month/year, back to school nights, classsroom management, communication with parents, assessments.

You know what would be a really awesome thread (and maybe they already have one that I haven't seen)...but to start something with "Helpful Hints for New Teachers" and then maybe people can submit worksheets that they got as a first year to help others. Or would that be too big of a hassle to do? Hmmm, sounds like a good idea! :)

12. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Feb 28, 2008

Mine did, but it was three LARGE binders, so it was so much info that there was no way to get through it all!!! A bit overwhelming if you ask me!!!