New Teacher at 39...advice?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by torr5962, Aug 18, 2010.

1. torr5962

torr5962 New Member

Aug 18, 2010

:eek:

I was just accepted to an online post bachelor's teaching program to get certified in NJ and PA. Passed all Praxis 1 tests, Social Studies and Business Praxis 2. I have NJ sub certificate and went to 30 hour Sub training but have not left my current IT job. Has anyone gone through a career change this late in life? Anyone want to allow me to observe in NJ or PA area (an online class requirement? What are most common mistakes to avoid for a beginning teacher at my age? Id like to teach Social Studies, but could end up in Technology or Business if needed for middle school or high school.

Im excited and apprehensive. Any and all advice and experience stories are much appreciated.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2010

I know lots of people who have made a change in their career late in life. Most of the time they are phenomenal teachers because they have lots of life experience to share with their students!!! I would suggest getting as much experience observing or subbing as possible. It will make the transition easier for you.

Technology is good to have, easier to find a job than social studies. I'm not sure about business.

Good for you! Joining the education world.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2010

At 39, you're a baby! I started teaching at 49. Since you're doing an online program, I agree that you should get as much experience subbing or observing as you possibly can.

5. falcons88

falcons88 Rookie

Aug 21, 2010

I would also suggest not only observing but observe every grade level, and even subjects you would not teach. There are valuable things to learn and pick up and if you only limit yourself to say other social studies teachers you might miss some awesome stuff.

Age is irrelevant. I was in my early 30's when I started. To tell you the truth that factor never crossed my mind when I changed careers.

6. wildcatrider

wildcatrider Rookie

Aug 24, 2010

I retired from the military and finished my education degree this year. I just started my first teaching job at the tender age of 47. I don't see any pitfalls specific to starting so late, but any bad habits I have are surely well-ingrained. I did instruct on active duty so this isn't a complete shock. Overall, I see my age and experience as an asset to draw from. But that doesn't mean I'm not nervous, concerned about being good enough, or facing each day with anticipation and anxiety. I'm just hoping the internal roller coaster slows down a bit soon.

Why is a day only 24 hours? That simply isn't enough time as a new teacher, not this one anyway.

7. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Aug 25, 2010

With Governor Christie slashing school district budgets and teaching jobs in New Jersey? My advice to you would be to think long and hard about a move like that.

I don't mean to throw a bucket of cold water on your enthusiasm, but I think you ought to consider the fact that a LOT of currently furloughed teachers are going to be chasing the same jobs you're going to be seeking.....in ALL subject areas.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 25, 2010

I was only six years your junior when I finished my teaching program I had ditched in college (long story). My mother, on the other hand, was 48 when she started teaching full time as opposed to subbing. It's never too late if this is where your passion lies.

Yes, NJ is tough at the moment. Maybe things will change before you complete your education or something wonderful will open up in PA.