New Teacher and totally stressed

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mrsroos, Jul 31, 2014.

1. mrsroos

mrsroos Rookie

Jul 31, 2014

I found out the 3rd week of June I had been chosen for my FIRST full-time 6th ela/ss position YAY!!! But I had already commited to teaching summer school from July 1-August 1 (in a district I had been subbing in)..... with that being said I have had NO time to figure out how I want to organize and run my classroom and we still don't have our keys, even though we are reporting on the 14...

Does anyone have any ideas for classroom set up and organization. I'm not too sure about a "theme" but maybe just super organized and bright and fun. I am super stressed about what I need to purchase for my room and how to break the ice with these kids! :eek:hmy:

Any help would be fantastic, my anxiety is out of control and I feel super lost :dizzy:

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 31, 2014

I have have experience setting up an elementary classroom, but I'll offer some advice. ;)

I would wait to purchase anything until you can get into your classroom. My first year I probably purchased more organizers than anything else (paper trays, baskets, etc.). However, don't buy anything until you have an idea of what you need! I have an entire closet FULL of baskets, drawers, trays, etc. that I bought because they were cute or on sale. Such a waste!

I also wouldn't worry too much about going through the supplies and resources that are in your classroom. Some rooms are full of junk, while others are nearly empty. I would look through everything, quickly toss things that you know you won't use, and quickly organize the rest. Don't think about it too much, though. You don't really know what you'll need yet, so it's way easier to go through and toss things after your first year.

As far as a theme, I would just look for baskets, borders, and bulletin board paper that fit a color theme.

4. mrsroos

mrsroos Rookie

Jul 31, 2014

Thanks! I guess I will start looking for bulletin board themes :) I never thought that the classroom could still have stuff in it! Thanks for easing my racing mind!

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2014

I would suggest asking if you can get in just to take pictures and inventory what is there. If so....

Take pictures from each corner. Measure and make note of the space including shelves, closets, bulletin board sizes, etc. Inventory furniture. Record how many and the location of computer hookups and electrical outlets.

And then go home.

It's so much easier to plan without feeling overwhelmed when you plan ahead outside of the classroom.

Decide what you want on your bulletin boards, what kind of room layout you want, etc.

I have tons of pictures and ideas for setting up a classroom on my blog. Feel free to check them out and have a great first year!

6. mrsroos

mrsroos Rookie

Jul 31, 2014

Thanks!! I am definately going to be checking out your blog! I love the clutter free classroom approach :) I have been in too many classrooms where its just a hot mess!

7. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Jul 31, 2014

I teach 6th grade ELA/SS as well. This will only be my second year, but two organizational things that saved me were crates with folders for each student to put graded papers in and turn in baskets for each period.

I agree, ask if you can get in there before the 14th..since you are brand new they most likely will let you come take a look so you can plan better. Also, if you go out and buy a bunch of stuff, you may not have room for it. It is good to see what you have the space for first.

I have a nautical theme, which is mostly just a color theme with Nautical News :D

Good Luck!

8. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jul 31, 2014

Oh my gosh, I feel your pain! I was hired for my first ever teaching position at the beginning of June. Principal left the day after making the offer for a six week trip. I completed the hiring process, signed my contract etc., during that time.

Principal has been back for almost two weeks. I followed her advice (given when she offered me the position) to e-mail her on the 21st so we could get together for a tour of the school and so I could get my keys and get into my room.

So far nothing. I have called and left messages. I have e-mailed twice. Back To School night for students and families is w week from today and teachers report back on August 13.

I am anxious now!
    Sheilah

9. chitown

chitown Companion

Jul 31, 2014

Yep, you're definitely not alone! I'm still going through the "onboarding" process. Until everything is complete, I don't even know what grade level I'll be teaching! All I know is that I'll be the inclusion teacher, but I don't know if I'll be working with a new or established teacher, if I'll have any space of my own, what my classroom looks like, etc. I don't even start work until Aug. 25 (kids start Sept. 2) but my head is just spinning with the possibilities yet I have no real way to plan yet. I'm hoping the rest of the hiring process will go quickly and then I can get some answers and start planning rather than panicking. Good luck to you!

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 1, 2014

First off, congrats on your new position.

Secondly, please email your administrators (both principal and vice principal...one of the two is guaranteed to respond) and ask if it's possible to swing by the office to pick up your keys.

I returned to work on Monday the 28th and had a teacher come pick up her keys on Tuesday the 29th. She was quite anxious and I told her she was more than welcome to pick up her keys and get to work.

Best wishes and keep us posted on your journey!

11. mrsroos

mrsroos Rookie

Aug 1, 2014

Thanks everyone! So happy to hear i'm not alone, its such an exciting and stressful time! I'm definately using the clutter free classroom approach and go from there! good luck everyone!

12. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Aug 1, 2014

If you can go to the school and talk to the admin assistants in the front. they are tremendously helpful!