new teacher advice

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by katerina03, Feb 24, 2007.

1. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Feb 24, 2007

I am having trouble putting my question into words. What I need to know is: Are all or most middle schools like zoos? Are the kids usually allowed to act like wild animals in the halls? The reason I'm asking is because I am a first year teacher at a small school. Though there are teachers and administration that stand in the halls between classes to "monitor" students, I think the students could be talking much more quietly and just behaving more calmly in general. I understand that the kids have been cooped up in a class room for an hour and now they are seeing their friends from others classes and being 13 is a crazy and exciting time, but is to much to expect them to be quiet in the halls while walking to the next class? Do any of you work at schools that have calm hallways. Sometimes I think that because the school I work at has a high minority and poverty rate they don't have "HIGH" expectations. I don't know what to do. I have talked to the kids and given detentions for outrageous hall behavior, but still I can't do it alone. I am seriously looking into finding a better school to work at next year that has better control over the students, but I thought I'd ask you all if there are many schools like that out there.

3. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Feb 24, 2007

I thought I'd add specific examples of the behavior: shouting and just talking extremely loud. Though the playing and running in the halls have stopped because of the students getting referrals, det and so on, the loudness is still over the top.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 24, 2007

In raising my kids, I've seen a lot of schools. I have never seen a quiet or orderly hallway. Some have been a little scary, in fact. Public schools here are very large, though.

5. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Feb 24, 2007

I sub in an affluent part of town in a middle school. Between classes, I like to stand in the doorway. I've noticed that this particular school has administrators in the busiest and largest areas of the hallways, and they corral students verbally to class. This seems to help. They are still noisy, but when they walk fast the noise comes and goes quickly.

However, I don't work there every day, and I'm not sure how my opinions would change if I did. :D

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 24, 2007

We taught the kids hallway expectations, and we have a "no touch" policy as well . . . so they have to keep their hands off people and property in the halls. The kids are also given just enough time to get to where they're going without extra time that they'll use to get into trouble. All teachers are required to be in the hallway near their classrooms between classes.

We're a rural Title I school.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2007

Loudness is part of a function of their age, particulalry if your halls are crowded, as ours are.

Running and touching are off limits, but 12 and 13 year olds ARE loud. I agree with Ima Teacher-- a faculty presence in the doorways makes a HUGE difference in the whole atmosphere in the hallways.

8. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Feb 25, 2007

OK, so it sounds like my school is normal. Thanks for your opinions.