New Teacher Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Hawk, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Hawk

Hawk New Member

Jun 6, 2006

Hello - I was just offered a 1st grade teaching position for Sept. and I am so thrilled but at the same time a bit nervous. I did my student teaching in 2nd grade and it was in the middle of the year so I am not familiar with how to start off the school year especially with 1st graders. Any advice as to how to set up my classroom, behavior management, 1st week of school, etc......Any assistance anyone can provide will be helpful! Thanks.:)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2006

No advice; I'm HS math. But others will come along today and tonight with all you need, never fear!! I just wanted to congratulate you and say Welcome!!

4. divey

divey Companion

Jun 6, 2006

Congratulations on your first position! How exciting!!!! One thing that I found VERY helpful when I first started teaching (13 years ago..WOW!) was a book called "The First Year Teacher's Guidebook for Success" (am pretty sure that that was the title, if not, you'll find it if you type that title in at Amazon.com). It gave helpful tips on everything from supplies you might find useful to room set-up to timelines to get things ready for the first day of school. The book I got (and still have and refer to!) was the first edition, and there has been a 2nd edition published since. I have never seen it (the 2nd edition), but am sure that it will have just added even MORE wonderful things to help you out! Good luck!
    :D

5. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 6, 2006

Re: Advice Needed

Another book to pick up would be Harry Wong's The First Days of School. It is an invaluable resource!!! Start formulating your management plan right away.

As far as the logistics go in your room, you may want to make contact with your new colleagues. Ask if they could meet with you early so as to orientate yourself with the procedures/policies of the school. See if they will share lesson plans with you or if they have a list of things that they cover the first couple of days. Contact the principal for a school handbook or other information that they would have for you. Ask about standards & benchmarks and where to find them. Become familiar with the curriculum so that is the least of your concerns. Find a management plan that you know you would like to use and prepare that. Draft a letter/brochure for parents that outlines your expectations, rules, procedures, and a snippet about you.

You find that you spend hours upon hours in your room-- making it look just right! We all do! :p Just make sure that you spend plenty of time on the curriculum as it is what is most important after you have your environment created.

Good luck... and welcome to the wonderful world of teaching.
    ~*Robin*~

6. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 6, 2006

The thing to remember about first graders is that you have to train them to be students! Having procedures for everything (bathroom, drinks of water, etc) really helps with this. Like Teacher RW said, Wong's book is a great tool! Good luck!

7. Dakota06

Dakota06 Rookie

Jun 6, 2006

Congrats!!!

Congratulations!! First grade is soo much fun. I interned with first grade (I graduated in Dec of 04) and had a blast with them but they require routine and demonstrate everything that you want them to do. I started my internship at the beginning of the year so the first few weeks are basically training them to be students. Let them know what you expect and what the consequences are and be consistant. I also learned that you tell them what to do. They have sooo much energy but they are sooo much fun.
    Again congratulations and enjoy!

8. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jun 6, 2006

I am a new teacher who has just accepted a first grade position. I have Harry Wong's book. I also suggest the book Teaching Effective Classroom Routines by Deborah Diffily and Charlotte Sassman. My host/co-op teacher showed me the book and I have really enjoyed it. While I have enjoyed Harry Wong's book, I have found it to be geared towards upper elementary through high school. However, I have been able to take the advice and apply it to my grade level. But I would really suggest you look for the book I mentioned, I just bought it yesterday and I have not put it down!

Hope this is of help:)!

9. njteacher

njteacher Rookie

Jun 6, 2006

Hi Hawk! Congratulations! Where in NJ will you be teaching? I'm in South Jersey(Burlington County).

10. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 6, 2006

Kissing Hand book and activities to go with it. E mail me and I will share some ideas and Chester the paper sack puppet, that the student make to go along with the book.

Put a can of play dough on each desk. Have students names on each desk and as students walk in the door show them their desk and tell them to make something special. They come in are immediately busy. You go back to greet the next students and wipe the tears away.

11. chorkles

chorkles New Member

Jun 11, 2006

Hi,

I just finished my student teaching in a first grade classroom and loved it! I used the "give me five hand signa"l from the Harry Wong book quite often and it worked like a charm! I think the rules and expectations piece is so important at this age level. It is a huge transitioning year.
    What I learned mostly was "model, model, model!" They will tell you they understand your instruction just to please you, but you can never model enough for these little ones! They are so bright, loving and fun!!

"He who teaches children learn more than they do."- unknown

12. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jun 11, 2006

Thanks!

Both fabulous ideas!! Thanks!

13. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jun 20, 2006

1st grade

Congrats!
    Last year was my first year in first grade and even though it started out hard because of a nine year break to be a stay-at-home mom. It ended up being my best year ever...to see the growth in those children is SOOO worth it all.
    I agree with everyone. To get everything going smoothly, you must model. Don't think that words are enough. MODEL everything...right down to sharpening pencils and standing in line.

14. teacherbecky

teacherbecky Rookie

Jun 21, 2006

Congradulations on the job!!! I know how that feels getting your first job. My first was a 3rd/4th combination room and I am now teaching 5th. Some advice I can give you after just being there as a new teacher is make yourself a check list for the beginning of the year. Follow it. Set up the room that will fit your teaching style and what will be comfortable aned welcoming to your students. Talk to the other teachers in your building, they will help you out tremendously!!! Trust me. I am not real sure how a 1st grade classroom runs, but sometimes the management depends on the schools policy. The school I am teaching at now is a big believer of Love and Logic. Again check with the other teachers,espcially those teaching 1st grade. Hope this helps.

15. teacherbecky

teacherbecky Rookie

Jun 21, 2006

Also something else that I think will help you is Harry Wong's The First Days of School. It was a great book the real helped me. It has a lot of great information in it for first year teachers.

16. Kaitlin

Kaitlin Rookie

Jun 21, 2006

Keep a bottle of hand sanitizer on your desk or somewhere in the classroom for a class with clean hands. :)

17. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2006

I had a sams sized bottle installed by the door... it was very easy for me to take it off & pass out, or when the kids had learned how much to get they could get it themselves.