new teacher- 5th Grade ELA, SS

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by newtxteacher5th, Jun 22, 2013.

1. newtxteacher5th

newtxteacher5th New Member

Jun 22, 2013

I was just offered a position at a title 1 school teaching 5th grade ELA and SS. This is my first year teaching in district as well. Any tips or recommendations for books/readings/trainings that could help me as I get ready for this next year would be greatly appreciated. Especially additional insight into reading comprehension and motivating students. Thanks! I really value any advice from experienced teachers.
    I am so excited for this next year!

3. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 22, 2013

Congratulations on your new position!
    You will like 5th grade..
    First of all, if your state is doing common core, you need to read up on anything you can find on common core ELA and SS. I have found websites from other states implementing CC very, very helpful.
    Responsive Classroom has a series of books that are wonderful for helping establish your classroom community. RC offers trainings across the country, so you might check into those.
    Daily 5 is good for setting up your ELA block. Fountas and Pinnell are also good reads on how to develop fluency and comprehension.
    Start to look at local libraries and Half Price Books to build your classroom library. Fountas and Pinnell have a great leveled reading guide in their books.
    A poetry folder is what I use to develop fluency. The kids love it. We do weekly poems with practice together, then the folder goes home where they must read the poem to a family member who signs off on the reading.
    I am sure I can offer more suggestions,but I think I have given the top picks that I use yearly.
    Good luck this upcoming year!

4. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jun 22, 2013

I would look for ways you can integrate your two subjects, that way you can get more of each taught. Start looking for informational text that supports your Social Studies curriculum at places like www.readworks.org which is free. If you want to implement Literature circles, you could choose historical fiction that relates to your standards as well. You won't be able to integrate everything (choice reading, poetry, certain writing genres, etc.) but you will be surprised at how naturally these two subjects fit together!