New Teach Eval. Progam

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by LATechTeacher, Sep 2, 2006.

1. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Sep 2, 2006

I am a new teacher in Louisiana teaching 2nd grade, and we have to go through a 2 year evaluation program to make sure we are "able" to teach. It includes several observations, lots of paper work, and lots of stress! If we don't pass this program at the end of our two years we cannot teach in Louisiana for 1yr and then you have to enter it again. If you can't pass it that time you can't teach in Louisiana ever again. Personally, I think it's crap! We already have enough stuff to do, why add more to it. Plus, we just graduated and we should know by now that we can't just sit at our desk and hand out worksheets all day! Does anyone else have to do this program, or a program similar to this? Or is it just the great state of LA that decided to do this ridicules program? :rolleyes:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2006

I'm not sure about NY; I received Permanent Certification in 1984 and I"m sure the rules have changed since then.

But I can see the point.

I've observed lots of first and second year teachers during my years as math chairman, and worked with others before that time. Some were brimming with confidence, others not so much. But not all were willing to put in the effort you seem prepared to do. I remember one in particular-- he was incredibly impressed with his own credentials, but awful in the classroom. We all give the same trimester exam, and not ONE Of his kids passed (out of 5 classes, roughly 35 kids each.) Fortunately, that was before I was chairman!

If you're one of the teachers willing to put in the time and effort, then it should be no problem for you. No one expects a first year teacher to be perfect, but they will be looking for competance in your subject area and control of the classroom. But for other teachers who haven't gotten the point, it's an effort to either get them to care or get them out.

4. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Sep 3, 2006

We have the same thing in NC. Two or three years ago there was ALOT more work then we have now but they saw that they were losing first year teachers because it was way to much work. Now we have to write reflections weekly, have meetings once a month, many observations and paperwork.

5. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Sep 3, 2006

In SC, we have to do it also. It is very similar to what you have to complete. Lots of detailed paper work is involved. You are not alone!You will suvive it. Good luck and just play the game.

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 3, 2006

We don't have that in Chicago (We really follow our own path seperate from Illinois). I think it sounds like a good idea. It probably will ALSO provide you with more support your first year then you are used to. I guess it depends on the observer but it is someone external it may help ease the current situation here where principals can push a button and fire any 1-4th year teacher without really any evidence of why they are firing them. (1,100 TEACHERS GOT LET GO IN THIS PROCESS LAST YEAR). You are free to get a job elsewhere but your name is published in a list that is available to the general public! Plus some people AREN'T prepared from student teaching. I'd say most people do not feel prepared. You have to get into the job and Swim or Sink. As much as I am anti a lot of NCLB stuff I think this may actually HELP many first year/second year teachers. I supposedly had "mentors" the last two years. First year it was great as far as support. Second year it was horrible cause everyone was like "I can't come all the way over there and help you-- sorry." I luckily was a swimmer and my principal likes me but I did wish at times I had someone to critique what I was doing and help me see where I could improve and what not--- good luck! Get some www.donorschoose.org grants--- (The entire state of LA is eligiable!) I'm sure you'll do fine. Just remember this is ultimately to help the kiddos.

7. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Sep 3, 2006

I'm in the same boat as you, but mines a little different. In Iowa you have 2 years to complete a portfolio that shows 8 teaching standards and 42 criterias. If you don't meet these by the end of 2 years, you can get a third year (but you're basically on probation). At the end of 2 or 3 years, if you're not showing enough standards and criteria in your portfolio, you lose your Iowa teaching license. You can't teach in Iowa again. I'm hoping this doesn't happen to me, but if it does. I'm lucky, because I live right next to Nebraska and South Dakota.

8. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2006

California has a two year Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment program that new teachers have to complete in order to get their Clear Credential. Personally, I'll take all the support I can get the first two years after I get my Preliminary Credential.