New tables set up! :)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, May 4, 2013.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 4, 2013

A few months ago, I had posted about wanting tables for my classroom, but they were not an option at my school, due to money. So, I started a Donor's Choose project, and it was fully-funded in 5 days by my wonderful family and friends. :)

The tables arrived last week, and I set them up last night. Each table group has a bookshelf that houses each student's supplies (I stole the idea from Dandelions and Dragonflies http://dandelionsdragonflies.blogspot.com/2011/08/finally-my-classroom-reveal.html). You can see the before and after pictures below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37507742@N03/8707400412/in/set-72157633400683251/

The only thing I am unhappy with is the yellow book bins. You can't see it in these pictures, but I already had blue and green book bins, so I felt like my room was over-loaded with blue and green, even though I was going for a blue/green/yellow with black accents theme. I thought the yellow might add a little something, but I feel like it's exploding with yellow now...I wish I would have gone with blue bins. I'll just have to work with my bulletin boards a bit more next year to make them blend in. :)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 4, 2013

Nice!:thumb:

4. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 4, 2013

I likes it a lot! Love it actually. Do you have more pictures so I can see more?

As far as the yellow, it looks like a lot, but I think that's just because its concentrated in the bookshelves. I think if you were to put any other bright color there you would start to feel overwhelmed by that color also. Maybe try alternating blue and yellow bins. I personally think the yellow and black shelves is a great color combination.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 4, 2013

Thanks! I thought about alternating the colors, but then when I switch seats, the bins would be mixed up (I'm going to label the bins with their numbers, so they will take their bin with them when they move).

I took a few more pics, but they're on my school computer, and I'm at home now. I'll add them to the album tomorrow when I go in.

6. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 4, 2013

I love it!!!! And I think the yellow looks great with the black shelves.

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 4, 2013

That's beautiful!

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 4, 2013

Looks great. What giving friends and family. :)

Tables are more "clean-looking" than desks. I like desks, but they can be a pain.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 4, 2013

When the bins are full of books there won't be as much yellow showing. Also, you could use black labels with white numbers to tone down the yellow, but it looks great!

10. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

May 4, 2013

I actually like the yellow book bins!

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 4, 2013

Wow I love this!!! I would never be allowed to do this - where did they put your old desks? We have major storage issues at my school. I plan to just zip tie the desks together (thanks Pinterest) next year and use the community supplies in the middle like you have. I recently attended a Kagan workshop so I am all about the cooperative learning for next year.

I think the yellow book bins will work if you just add some more yellow around the room. I actually like them! But I really love bright colors.

I've been thinking of blue and green with accents of yellow (and pink probably) for next year, and I kept wondering where I originally got that idea - now I remember - it was pictures of YOUR room posted on here awhile back! So thanks, and sorry for copying you lol. ;)

Questions - what is in the baskets on the bottom shelves? And where do you put their textbooks? I teach 1st so they have very small, skinny textbooks, but those are in their desks.

12. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

May 4, 2013

I wish I had space for shelving like that at each table in my room. We have their stuff around the room (ie writing notebooks in writing center, math notebooks in math center) and in the beginning of the year it took my third graders quite a long time to get used to passing things out quickly. They keep their book baggies in a bin on the table and sometimes they overflow all over the place.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 4, 2013

It looks great! I like the yellow book bins- I don't think it's too much.

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 4, 2013

I think it looks really chic! :) What a great idea!

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 4, 2013

Looks great! I wish I had tables....

16. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 4, 2013

love, LOve, LOVE!

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 4, 2013

Thanks so much, everyone! You're making me feel better about the yellow book bins. :)

To answer a few of your questions:
    -They are adding 2 new classes next year, due to numbers, but we aren't getting very much money for supplies. My principal is very happy about the tables, so she can use my desks for one of the new sections! They are storing them in our motor room for the next month.
    -The baskets contain their art boxes (colored pencils, crayons, markers), and their pencil bags (red pens, highlighters, scissors). I like shared supplies, but the kids really like having their own stuff, so I'm just having them share pencils. However, they all have their own "fun" pencils, which they keep on the table caddie.
    -As far as textbooks are concerned, we don't have any, really. For social studies and science, we're pretty much on our own. They have math workbooks, which are in the yellow bins. For reading, they have a hardcover book that contains various stories, which is on the bottom bookshelf, next to the basket.

18. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 5, 2013

Someone had asked for more pics, so I added a few more. Click on the original link again to see. :)

19. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

May 5, 2013

How is it with 5 sitting at those tables? They look a little bigger than mine, yet 4 is kind of a tight squeeze at mine. Mine are old and wooden and starting to fall apart (literally.) I'm hoping I move back to 4th next year so they give me back the bigger tables.

20. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 5, 2013

I'm not sure, since the kids haven't used them yet. They are 30" x 60". I was really concerned about what size to order, and they do look like a tight fit. I will actually only have 4 at each table, but I put an extra chair at the end, because I have a lot of people in my room helping kids out (SPED, speech, O/T, ELL).

I debated going a little wider, but then they would take up more space in the room. My kids really like using a clipboard on the floor, so they aren't at their tables too much. Mainly just for math.