New substitute questions (elementary)

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by teach2heart, Jun 2, 2008.

1. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Jun 2, 2008

Good Morning! I am a new/returning substitute. I did a long-term sub assignment during the 06/07 school year and have been in an office job (for steady income) this past year. I am hoping to go back into subbing this fall and looking for suggestions as to how to start. I have contacted my local districts to receive the forms needed to get back on the list, but I feel that my confidence in teaching is not as strong as it was before. What is the best way to get over this? I'm guessing jumping in with both feet? :) Also, anything I should work on getting together over the summer (lesson plans, activities to bring along)? Thanks! :)

3. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jun 2, 2008

You don't need a lesson play or anything. The teacher leaves all the work you need and if not then its the school's job to help you get a lesson plan. Just jump in there and do it. I get nervous sometimes like with the older 4th-5th graders. I don't know why, but I get over it and the day goes well. Good luck!

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 2, 2008

On the other hand, I've heard enough horror stories of elementary subs left with no lesson plans. That's rough for a whole day! You may want to have a "sub bag" of emergency activities. This site is chock full of goodies. You may also want to check http://www.supersubstituteteachers.com/

5. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jun 13, 2008

Well I know I said you didn't need a lesson ,but I was left once without a lesson I just got each of there books and left work for example, I know that all 4th graders know multiplucation tables so I gave them some work I knew they would know how to do from each of there books math,spelling,language, and history I asked a reliable student what chapter they were on in history and made them re-read it as a class and do the chapter questions at the end of the chapter and turn in. one good thing I almost always do too is if I dont know if its going to be graded I saw I think your teacher may grade this so they think it is and do it or at least try to do it. And I always leave a note for the teacher with what they did when there was no lesson so there won't be about 20 kids saying we did this and this all diff stories of course!